Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loquet
« on: Saturday 24 July 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for any members of the Loquet family from Belgium
The only two names I remember being mentioned were Oscarine and Hilare

Of course I understand that during the WWII that a lot of records were lost.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loquet
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
If you want to look for other people researching the same name, try http://www.geneanet.org/
There are a lot of listings for this surname in both France and Belgium. It would help if you knew the area/town in Belgium you were looking at.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
The only thing I know is that my father in law's family came from the Walloon area of Belgium which I believe is the flatest area there.  Is that right. They speak a mix of French/German? or is that flemish.  I have no idea and neither does my husband where his family origins were in Belgium.  Very skimpy ??? ::)

He says that he wishes he had paid more attention to his dad when he did tell him anything which was rare.  Is there any way I can find out which areas of Belgium were walloon, to give a clue as to towns, cities, villages etc.

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Here's a map showing (roughly) the area you are talking about but like most research you'll probably need a more exact location before you can start finding any records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walloon_language
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 02:09 BST (UK) »
From your other messages, your link is via Albert Victor Loquet who married Iris Doreen Brown?

I can see his birth in 1920 (Weymouth) and his parents (Emile A Loquet and Lily B Marks, she b. Weymouth I think) marriage in 1916 on freebmd.
He was almost certainly a refugee from WWI and given the area of their marriage probably one of the "Birtley Belgians"
http://www.legacyarchives.org.uk/page.asp?id=41

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, she was a nurse in Weymouth and he was shipped in wounded and they fell in love.  He originally was a farmer.  They married in Durham I think there is also someone called Joseph Loquet seemed as though they married at the same place same time.  When the war was over they moved back to Belgium where Albert was born and escaped to england just as WWII broke out and stayed with relatives  Albert was an engineer and was given a job with Vospers and in charge of the workforce at the tender age of 20 building aircraft for the war effort.  This is when he met Iris and history repeats itself.  When working together he called her miss Brown and she called him Mr. Loquet but they were secretly married by the time she was about 21yrs old.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
Well, it looks like Albert V was definitely born in England (in Weymouth, see freebmd), but they may have left soon after that.
Do you have the marriage certificate of Emile and Lily from 1916? That should tell you Emile's father's name (and maybe show if Joseph Loquet was a witness, although I can see only one Joseph Loquet and he married down in Kent, not in Durham).

The problem is that you will not find ship lists for within Europe and it doesn't appear that there are naturalisation records for this family that I can find (probably Emile didn't; don't think Albert would have needed to). You might try tracking down Emile's death and seeing if there's any reference in a death notice/obituary to family in Belgium, and possibly Albert's as well (might for example mention something about his life pre WWII).

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
the loquet family came from belgium to my knowledge, but a lot of the records were lost during the 2nd ww. due to bombing etc. I am now trying to find out more about this family as we only have info going back to barry's grandfather and his wife winifred franks? his name being emile victor loquet phonetically pronounced (lokay)they were lock and key makers or door-latch makers. we were told that originally the name possibly moved from holland.can anyone help with research.
be most grateful.
 searl rogers sutherland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
The Dutch website WieWasWie (https://www.wiewaswie.nl/en/home) has 32 documents with Loquet in them.

Mainly in the Province of Zuid-Holland (South Holland - which is the province of Rotterdam and The Hague).

Was Emile born 17th January 1920?
If so he was born in Antwerp, but ws on the population register for The Hague in 1939 (in Dutch Den Haag or 's-Gravenhage)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)