Author Topic: Eliza Doyle, b about 1845, Baltinglass, Wicklow  (Read 17169 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Doyle, b about 1845, Baltinglass, Wicklow
« on: Sunday 25 July 10 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I am wondering if anyone can help  me find more information on my g grandmother Eliza Doyle. The information that I have is sketchy and mixed.
 She arrived in Australia aboard "Ida" 17 Jan 1864 aged 19 yrs as an assisted migrant. She gave her parents names as John Doyle and Bridget and had a step brother Richard Barry in the colony. She was RC  and this gives a birth date of about 1845.
  On her marriage certificate she gives her birthplace as Baltinglass, Wicklow
and her parents as John Doyle farmer and mother Eliza Macasin.
  This seems to indicate that her mother may have died and that John Doyle had remarried Bridget, possibly a widow with a son Richard Barry ??
  Her birth date and her parents marriage would be before official records began. Can anyone help me with a look up of RC parish records for Baltinglass. ???
  As you have most likely gathered I am in Aus. and have to rely on the internet for searching. Any help would be appreciated

Wyanga   
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Doyle, b about 1845, Baltinglass, Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
RC Baptisms for for Co. Wicklow are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : www.irish-roots.ie  Their list of sources mentions records for Balitinglass from about 1819.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Shane,
            Thank you for that I will check it out. Seems like a good place to start.
 Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 05:16 BST (UK) »
Shane
     I seem to have a problem. I don't get a result for Eliza Doyle, baptism, Baltinglass  1840 + or - 5. Thought I would try for a marriage for Eliza Macasin in all of Wicklow and got nil result. My information seems to be faulty.
 I did come up with 15 baptisms for Eliza/Elizabeth Doyle in Wicklow but at 5 euros a time, gets a bit expensive, to check them all.
  On her marriage certif. her mothers name is definately written Eliza Macasin.
  Can anyone suggest an alternative to Macasin if it were mispronounced or misspelt  ??? Eliza signed with an X so must have been illiterate and would not have been aware of an error.
 Wyanga

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 10 08:30 BST (UK) »
I seem to have a problem. I don't get a result for Eliza Doyle, baptism, Baltinglass  1840 + or - 5. Thought I would try for a marriage for Eliza Macasin in all of Wicklow and got nil result. My information seems to be faulty... I did come up with 15 baptisms for Eliza/Elizabeth Doyle in Wicklow but at 5 euros a time, gets a bit expensive, to check them all.

The IFHF only have baptisms available for county Wicklow at the moment..  there's no marriages

You can narrow down baptism searches by using the father's first name and the parish. By Baltinglass she could have meant the area rather than town itself, although the parish covers quite a large area surrounding the town, and also includes a small part of Co. Kildare. It appears that all available records for the parish on the IFHF system are included under Wicklow.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 July 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Quote...... The information that I have is sketchy and mixed.
 She arrived in Australia aboard "Ida" 17 Jan 1864 aged 19 yrs as an assisted migrant. She gave her parents names as John Doyle and Bridget and had a step brother Richard Barry in the colony. She was RC and this gives a birth date of about 1845.
 On her marriage certificate she gives her birthplace as Baltinglass, Wicklow
and her parents as John Doyle farmer and mother Eliza Macasin.

As I said earlier my information is mixed. Another look at the immigration details says that she was a native of " Lochnavaugh " Carlow and that her parents were  ? Doyle and Bridget of Lochnavaugh. The latter is very hard to read and has been transcribed as such. To me it looks more like 'Loughanagael'     
     Are either of those in Carlow ? It appears as if IFHF does not have Carlow records up yet.
Wyanga

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
The IFHF dont have any records for Co. Carlow, but the IrishGenealogy (http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/) website does. They only have Church of Ireland records at the moment, but believe they plan to add RC records at some stage.

I dont see anywhere in Co. Carlow named Lochnavaugh/Loughanagael or similar.... not many 'L' placenames in Carlow, and no 'Lough' names. You can check the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Baltinglass is close to the Co. Wicklow borders with both Kildare and Carlow - see google map : Baltinglass to Castledermott (Kildare) to Rathvilly (Carlow)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Shane,
             You are correct , there isn't anything remotely resembling those names in the townlands or Parishes for Carlow, Kildare or Wicklow.
   I am beginning to wonder if I have the correct immigration, Eliza Doyle. I do have the correct marriage certificate and death cert. and the former gives Baltinglass, Wicklow as the birth place and the latter gives Wicklow as where born.
  So I am back to square one. I got no results for a baptism at Parish Baltinglass, with father John Doyle over a 10 year search period.
  I think that I am going to have to put this one in the "too hard" basket for now. Thank you Shane for the time that you have put into this for me and your help with places to search. Maybe some more definitive info will turn up sometime.
 Wyanga 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Shane
             I have just found a John Doyle in the Griffiths valuation for the Baltinglass Parish. Wicklow County
  Townland Baltinglass West
  Place name Relan St. Printed date 1854 So this should be my John Doyle.   :D
  There is hope yet !
Wyanga