Author Topic: Eliza Doyle, b about 1845, Baltinglass, Wicklow  (Read 17172 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Doyle, b about 1845, Baltinglass, Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
 I have just about accepted that I have the wrong Eliza Doyle in immigration, and that is where I got her being RC. So may have been COI. She married a protesant in Sydney in 1865. The marriage was in the Regestry office which could mean a mixed marriage, or just that neither had family in Australia.
  IHIF records for COI don't appear to commence until 1877 which is too late for my search.
 Does anyone know if there are any gravestone inscriptions available for Baltinglass, Wicklow ?
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 July 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
I have found that there are gravestone inscriptions for ;Baltinglass Abbey
Baltinglass St Josephs RC, and Baltinglass St Mary's CofI.
 They are held at the Dublin City Library
 This doesn't help me a lot as they are not accessable on the internet.
 A site that may help others locate the whereabouts of various record in Ireland.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~genbruce/MyGenealogy/Genealogy8Wi.html

Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline Johnmaggie11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Try Casin or Cassin. There's Cassins in Dublin. Mount Brown, Killmainham area.
Not sure of the spelling.               Maggie

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
Johnmaggie11
       Thank you Maggie for the suggestion. There are alot of Cashin, Cashen and even a couple of McCashin and McCashen in various counties in Ireland except for Wicklow. I tried for baptisms 1820-1830, searching for Casin, this period should have covered Eliza mothers birth period, if Eliza was born about 1845. Only found 3  Elizabeth Cashin, 2 in Kilkenny and one in Tipperary.
  The name McCashin looks hopeful for my Macasin but the only ones were in Co Down.
  Not the same problem with John Doyle, I got 117 for that period in co Wicklow. but the search doesnt provide specific places without viewing each one at 5 euros a time.
 Wyanga       

Offline Johnmaggie11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello again,  if you are sure about the mac or the mc in front of the name, I would suggest you look at the Co. Down side. Mac + Mc tells me it's definately a northern Ireland name as that's where the macs originated from. I'm speaking geographically now, I don't mean just the six counties.
                                     Maggie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
...I tried for baptisms 1820-1830, searching for Casin, this period should have covered Eliza mothers birth period, if Eliza was born about 1845. Only found 3  Elizabeth Cashin, 2 in Kilkenny and one in Tipperary.
Not the same problem with John Doyle, I got 117 for that period in co Wicklow. but the search doesnt provide specific places without viewing each one at 5 euros a time.

I assume the searches you mentioned are of the IrishRoots/IFHF website ?

if so be very careful making assumptions about the results you get as they are incomplete. The database does not include a number of counties and areas in Ireland. e.g. they exclude two major population centres - the cities of Dublin and Cork, half of Co. Cork, counties Clare, Wexford, Carlow, Kerry, Offaly etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Johnmaggie 11
   Thank you Maggie for that info re Mac and Mc. Would that be from the Scottish influence in the North ?
  I am reasonably sure that Eliza Doyle's mother was Eliza Macasin from her marriage certificate, but as she was illiterate I assume that it would have been spelt phonetically, hence my interest in McCashin/McCashen.

Shanew 147
                    Yes it was IrishRoots/IFHF that I searched and yes I am aware of the limitations on the information available. I noted that the baptisims for the C of I for Baltinglas did not commence until 1877 and it would have been the 1820- 1840 period which may have provided me with information.
   I note from your interests that you include Doyle, Wicklow
 Would you know of any other web sites that I could try  ??? 

Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 August 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Shanew 147
 Hi Shane,
                 I have gone back to the Griffiths valuation on the aboutireland site and checked on the parishes surronding Baltinglass.
 Baltinglass : Eliza Doyle , house in Delan St
                   John Doyle , house in Delan St
 Ballynure : Griffinstown Upper, John Doyle house and garden
                 There is also a John Cashen nearby
 Rathbran : John Doyle house offices and land ( abt 3 acres )
                  John Doyle jun. house land offices and land ( 10 acres )
 Donaghmore: Leitrim, Eliza Doyle house offices and land ( 30 acres )
                  Randalstown, John Doyle land  ( 2acrs 3 R )
                                   John Doyle house and offices ( may be same person) 
 On my Eliza Doyle's marriage certif. in 1864 she has father John Doyle farmer but it does not say deceased or living.  There do not appear to be a lot of Doyles in the area to choose from but the ones in Rathbran and Donaghmore would appear to be the only ones that could be classified as farmers.
 This runs counter to my Eliza's birthplace of Baltinglass.
   It would appear that without a baptism record or a marrige for her parents that I am  unable to identify the correct family
A frustrated Wyanga  :-\     

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
 I noted that the baptisims for the C of I for Baltinglas did not commence until 1877 and it would have been the 1820- 1840 period which may have provided me with information.
   I note from your interests that you include Doyle, Wicklow
 Would you know of any other web sites that I could try  ?

I dont believe that early Baltinglass CofI records have survived. Several sources I've checked state that these are 'lost'.

The records from 1877 on could derive from a newer register, or civil records.

My Doyles come from the other side of the Wicklow mountains and near to Bray.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests