Author Topic: Canal Boatmen  (Read 20037 times)

Offline JohnJean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canal Boatmen
« on: Sunday 25 July 10 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have found a James Harrison in my ancestry. He and his father Thomas were flatmen/watermen. James was born about 1817 in Great Budworth Cheshire. He married Mary Foster who was born about 1821 in Cheshire. They married in 1842. Does anyone have any information regarding my ancestor or his occupation. Thanks.

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Canal Boatmen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 10 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, :o

Nearly all of my ancestors were flatmen or watermen, all from Cheshire, mainly Witton, Great Budworth, Barnton and Weaverham and working on the salt-flats.  A lot of the canal boats were pulled by horses.  My father tells me of when they came to a tunnel, (not him, his grand-father,) , the horses were unhitched, and lead over the bridge to the other side.  The men on the boat then had to lay on their backs and 'walk' the boats under the bridges and tunnels (because they were so low).  When they got to the other side, the horse was re-harnessed and continued on it's way until another tunnel was reached when the whole process was repeated.

My computer's on a 'go slow' at the moment so I can't do much but this link will give you a bit of information about their lifestyle.  If I come across anything else I'll pass it on.

www.canaljunction.com/canal/heritage.htm

Woodward - Cheshire, Robinson - Yorkshire, Rees - Wales, Ohara, McGlennon, Kirwan - Ireland & Scotland.

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
I have visited The Ellesmere Port Boat Museum a few years ago. Most interesting place, they have an archive. Check their website for details, as you may have to book for the archive.
HTH,
Megran.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
It may be worth mentioning that in this area there were 2 distinct systems of water transportation - the canals (Trent & Mersey through Middlewich, Northwich, Barnton, etc) and the River Weaver, leading down to the Mersey and Birkenhead / Liverpool. The 2 did meet at Anderton where that wonderful lift (now restored - see Google and Wikipedia) took boats between the 2 systems.

If your relatives were referred to as flatmen, then it's fairly certain that they worked on the river. If they were boatmen, it's more likely they worked on the canal - though I suspect that "boatman" might also refer to the river, as "boat" is a fairly generic term whereas "flat" is a specific type of river boat. I don't know if people moved back and forth much between the 2 systems.

Important local museums etc. are Weaver Hall Museum & Workhouse (formerly the Salt Museum) at Northwich; Anderton Lift; Ellesmere Port Boat Museum (or whatever it's now called!) and the Maritime Museum at Liverpool Albert Dock since that was where all the salt etc went to.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you live in the UK there are programmes on Sky,Waterworld & Locks& Quays & Narrow Boats.

Bound to be repeated. About the history of the Canels,sometimes  who worked on them.They have shown Old Footage & Pictures.

I dont have any ancestors who lived & worked on the Canels but found  the programmes very interesting.

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline JohnJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 02:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. I will follow up where I can. Sorry, I didn't mention it before but I am not in the U.K. I am in Australia. John

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya John ..and welcome to Rootschat...just in case you don`t have the marriage it is on
www.cheshirebmd.org.uk
James Harrison to Mary Foster at St Mary , Budworth Cheshire West 126/1/330
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information. I will follow up where I can. Sorry, I didn't mention it before but I am not in the U.K. I am in Australia. John

Hi,
A good excuse for a visit to the UK!
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
My husband's g.g.aunt's husband was a boatman somewhere around Stockport, but I don't know where.  I guess it was probably the Peaks Canal that went from the peak district, through Marple to Stockport and Macclesfield.  I guess they carried cotton to and from the mills.

Lizzie.

ps.  Totally off topic, I have one of the (pair of) patio doors open and nearly died of fright whilst typing this as a blackbird flew in, banged it's wings on the unopened patio door, flew towards me and then, fortunately, must have felt the draught from the open window and flew out again.  My heart's still beating faster than normal. :o