Author Topic: 1 York Street, Aberdeen  (Read 7759 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1 York Street, Aberdeen
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »
You can see York Street on the !870-71 Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/395270/806182/13/100699 Change the zoom level.
Number 1 is at the corner with Wellington Street. (You can see the house numbers on the plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/395270/806182/13/101329 )

With this side by side you can compare the old with the new. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=57.14662&lon=-2.07966&layers=168&right=BingHyb

This is a street view of the school https://goo.gl/maps/92KzUNUE6vZXr38MA

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for this. even now after all this time I do not have his birth certificate for sure... so I am going to use my self isolation looking...
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 March 20 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for this. even now after all this time I do not have his birth certificate for sure... so I am going to use my self isolation looking...

I see a birth of William Bremner Ross in Aberdeen St Nicholas 1872, district 168.1 no 1121. Is this the birth certificate you have?

I also see a death of William Bremner Ross, mother's surname Ross, aged 0, in Durris 1872, district 256 no 7. If I were you I would look at this death certificate to see if it is the same William Bremner Ross, and possibly eliminate him from your search. In which case York Street is not relevant after all.

If he is, then what information do you actually have about your William Bremner Ross?

Which censuses have you found him in, and where?

In particular, in which year does it say "born in Aberdeen....kn"?

Where and when did he marry? Have you got his marriage certificate?

When and where did he die? And what exactly do you mean when you say "there was the name Bremner listed on his death cert"? Was Bremner listed as his middle name, or 'mentioned' in some other way, and if so in what other way?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have just seen your reply. I have looked at almost every William Ross Birth Certificate in Aberdeenshire  records for 1872/3/4.
This is a long complicated story so bear with me.
My great grandfather was known as William Ross.  I have never found his birth certificate which has meant I cannot go any further back on this line. I have his Wedding Certificate. to Isabella Gibb in dec 1904 in  Glenbervie. It states that his parents are Florence Smith and William Ross. This does not say that the parents are married. Williams death Certificate is registered in Croy in 1956 aged 84.  His parents are listed at William Bremner and Florence Bremner ms Smith. various census have him listed as shepherd living on various farms. I have also noted that there is another male called James Henry who  is witness at his wedding and also with him in some of the census,
any help is appreciated. Thankyou
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
It could be you are looking for the wrong surname, perhaps he was illegitimate and you should be looking for William Smith. William Ross could be the man whom his mother believed to be his father.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us where you found William in the censuses? Does the marriage certificate state if his parents are deceased?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
1881 census, William Ross aged 8, 24 Mains of Tillquilly, Boarder, born Aberdeenshire.  James Henry aged 5 also there, born Banchory Terain. Also a Smith family there. No Florence though.
1891 census, Eslie, Farm Servant, aged 18, Born Banchory Terain.
1901 census,Little Barras Bothy, Kincardineshire, aged 28, place of birth NK
1904 marries Isabella in glenbervie.
1911 living at 35 Braeside croft Fettercairn, says born in Banchory, has 3 children.
his 1939 papers say date of birth 17/04/1872 and he is a crofter
1947 his wife Isabella dies in Laurencekirk where they lived,
1956 he dies in croy. His grandson Alex was 16 and he was sent to register death with a slip of paper with his details on it.
I cannot go back any further on this line as I do not know who his parents are for sure.
many thanks for any help.
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
his parents were still alive but not married. Mother Florence smith and father William Ross. marriage certificate.
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
You will note that the 1881 census is in Kincardineshire. If you could find William in the school admission records it may give you more information on his parentage. It should state his actual date of birth and also previous schools attended, if any, & also the name of the next school he goes to or the date he leaves school. This is very useful in tracing a person's movements between censuses. Another avenues to consider is to check the poor relief records to see if anyone claimed on William's behalf. The widow with whom he is boarding may have been paid by the parish to look after children. Hope this helps,
flst.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.