Author Topic: 1 York Street, Aberdeen  (Read 7727 times)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: 1 York Street, Aberdeen
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 May 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
the only thing I can think of is that Florence may have been sent away to have her child. Perhaps a servant may have been sent to register the birth. I have a birth in Aberdeen with William Bremner Ross. Illigitimate in Aberdeen from 1 York Place signed by Isabella Ross, domestic servant...
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 01 May 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
the only thing I can think of is that Florence may have been sent away to have her child. Perhaps a servant may have been sent to register the birth. I have a birth in Aberdeen with William Bremner Ross. Illigitimate in Aberdeen from 1 York Place signed by Isabella Ross, domestic servant...
A servant could have been sent to register the birth, but would have been legally obliged to state the name of the mother.

Has anyone yet bothered to check the birth and death certificates as suggested in Reply #11 above?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 01 May 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
hi all  I have spent the morning looking at IGI births, the only one that I can find is the William Bremner Ross one...date of birth 14/08/1872 signed by Isabella Ross.
I have found his 1939 national register detail which give date of birth as 17/04/1872.  Perhaps as time went on the numbers got muddled around...
There is no mention of the Bremner on it and he was the one that gave the details on this. I really don't know where to go from here. I will await my request from Aberdeen Council records and see if this throws any light on the matter.
I looked at the William Ross in Forres and they were a married couple so have discounted this one.
regards
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
HI, On his death certificate his parents are William Bremner and Florence Bremner ms Smith. I spoke to his grandson many years ago and he told me he was sent to register Williams death, by his mother Isabel with a note of his date of birth, occupation and who his wife was.
Regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have spent the morning looking at IGI births, the only one that I can find is the William Bremner Ross one...date of birth 14/08/1872 signed by Isabella Ross.
Have you looked at the original birth certificate at Scotland's People? Was Isabella Ross the mother?

Have you looked at the death certificate of William Bremner Ross, aged 0, in Durris in 1872? Is he the same one who was born at 1 York Street on 14 August 1872?

It's quite important to do this, because if this William Bremner Ross died aged only a few weeks, 1 York Street is irrelevant to your search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 01 May 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes I have checked this death out and this is now irrelevant.
The three names I have are Ross, Florence Smith and a William Bremner all on his death certificate.He is William Ross on his marriage certificate and his father is William Ross and mother Florence Smith.
He is William Ross on the Census 1881 to 1911. and aso on the 1939 National Register, his date of birth states 17/04/1872.
I know he was a shepherd and crofter in Fettercairn, Scotston, Fordoun in early part of 1900s
He had a house im Johnston Street, Laurencekirk, where his wife died in 1947.  He then went to live with his daughter Isabel in Croy, where he passed away. He is buried in Laurencekirk Cemetry.
This is what I know about William, but I cannot find his birth certificate.
Regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.