Author Topic: Durham Crisis!!! I don't have any shame anymore, please help!!!  (Read 904 times)

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
Durham Crisis!!! I don't have any shame anymore, please help!!!
« on: Friday 01 April 05 13:40 BST (UK) »
I've taken my direct family line back to Francis Hodgson (born c. 1786) who married a Mary Sharp in 1811 in St Margarets, Durham.

My Nan's cousin also provided me with another branch of the family. (his grandfather was born in 1874 and one of these people had a child born at the Battle of Vimiero during the Peninsular War in 1809) I speculated he must have meant his great-grandfather's brothers and sisters. I have found this family (which I know to be correct as I was provided with the names of husbands etc.) and traced it back to 1680 (yay!!!).

My only problem is that I can't link the two - I know that the link must be there, as it comes from a family interview with his great-aunt who was Francis' daughter.

I can find 6 of the names linked to a Charles Hodgson (1784-1850) who married a Sarah Barker (c. 1874).

The first two names on my list however (Francis and Matilda - the mother of the Vimeiro baby), I can't find or link. It would seem that these two must be older - the same generation as Charles.

My theory is that my Nan's cousin has made a mix-up somewhere, and that Francis and Matilda are these childrens' aunt and uncle.

What I need help with is trying to find out the name of Francis Hodgson's parents - if I'm right, and I've done my maths right, I'm hoping that they will be called John Hodgson (1748-1833) and his wife Ann (1754-1819).

Charles is listed on IGI as being born in Gainford (his parents are both from Winston) - I can't find any info on Francis, but the idea of him being born in St Marys is flying around - I'm not sure, but is this an area of Durham City itself?

If there is anyone that is able to check the Parish Records for this area and find Francis and his parents I would be so grateful.

Also, if anyone has access to the 1841 census, as I have never managed to find him on any of those. In 1841 he would have had several children - the most important of these is Robert Francis Hodgson, born c 1830 - I know he's alive then! Other names are  Barbara & Catherine (I think these died), Ann, Mary, Jane and William.

Robert Francis was born in Crossgate, so I'm not sure if they were living in that area.

Thanks for reading this and any help that can be offered.
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk