Author Topic: Victoria school Kurseong India  (Read 8200 times)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victoria school Kurseong India
« on: Monday 26 July 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have found a one page of a letter in the pages of a book I have just bought, The letter is from a schoolgirl who was a pupil at the Victoria School, Kurseong which I think is/was in West Bengal, the letter is dated 1.12.1949 and postmarked North Point Darjeeling 20th March 1950 which is franked with a stamp of Geo vi with crown and 2 annas postage.
It is only one page of a longer letter and  is addressed to Rodney Bile, Gaynor Estate, Bath Road. Asonsol.

Inside the letter is a small black and white photo o f 5 young girls aged 15 to 18 who look Indian or Eurasian, on the back of the pic it says "To darling Rodney all my love Dorothy - Taken at the zoo 1st. July 1949"

Apparantly she was studying for a J.C.     ?

Anyone out there connected to the letter/pic is welcome to have them

James

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria school Kurseong India
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

You are correct about Kurseong being in West Bengal. It's a stopping point on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, approx midway between Siliguri/New Japaiguri, where the train starts, and Darjeeling. Interesting that there's a 3 month gap between writing and sending the letter. The fact that it's posted at North Point, Darjeeling could mean she left Victoria School and moved to Loreto Convent in Darjeeling which is close to North Point. It's possible tha "Rodney" was a pupil at one of the many public schools in Darjeeling although I think you can rule out St.Paul's as I act as Administrator for their Alumni board and haven't come across the name amongst the former pupils.

Both schools have Alumni Associations which you could contact - the links are below.

http://www.loreto.in/darj-convent/index.htm

http://www.vsdh.org/vsdh.html  (There's a drop-down menu on the right of the page which should lead you to the OVA (Old Victorians Assoc.) and from there you contact the Assoc webmaster!)

Happy hunting!

Tony

Added I should have realised - the zoo is near North Point - that's why the letter is posted there!
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline QueenBess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I have relations who owned Gaynor Estate, I will ask them if they know anything.

Offline QueenBess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 10 09:24 GMT (UK) »
The letter may be interesting anyway does it mention any other names?

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Queen Bess, The letter is one page of others and dated 1.1 49 and interestingly begins "Hiya Rod" I was surprised at the term "Hiya" for 1949. I always associated that with the late 50s early 60s.
The envelope is tiny 11cm x 9cm and has a 2 anna stamp with George VI and postmarked North Point Darjeeling,  20th April 1950, There are no other names in the text.
The small photo shows five young ladies of Indian or Eurasian appearance, on the back of the pic it says To Darling Rodney All my love Dorothy, taken at the zoo on July 1st, 1949.
I am happy to send these on to any one in the pic or anyone associated with the school.

Regards
James

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »

Hi James

I've just sent an email to Dorothy's old school alumni association in the hope that we can solve this mystery. Will keep you posted.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline QueenBess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I've sent a message to my family in India to ask them about this as Gaynor Gardens is a family home, so they should hopefully know.
Thanks
Liz

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 December 10 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone,
James

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 10 00:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi James

I've had a reply from the Alumni website. Is it possible to send me a scanned copy of the photo that I can pass on to them? I'll send a PM with my email address.

Tony