Author Topic: Victoria school Kurseong India  (Read 8177 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria school Kurseong India
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »
 Just a quick update.

The picture is now on it's way to various alumni who were at the school circa 1949 in the hope that someone recognises the girls in the photo. It would be fantastic if we could reunite the pic with either Dorothy or her family!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 December 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony,
FYI the photo/letter was found in Thirsk in North Yorkshire.

Regards
James

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 December 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »

The mystery deepens!

I've just received the following reply from the Victoria and Dow Hill Schools Alumni site;-

Tony, I have now heard back from my contacts and I'm sorry to say that
they do not recognise any of the girls. They were both in attendance at
the school at that time and were about the same ages as the ladies in
the photo. In fact they say there were no Dorothy's in the senior school
at that time. One of them has suggested that they may have been in
attendance at Mount Herman school in Darjeeling. Unfortunately we don't
seem to have any past contacts with pupils who attended Mount Hermon.

So a question for James! Does Dorothy claim to be at Victoria School, or is the letter itself written on Victoria School paper. If the answer to either is "yes" then there is a problem! Victoria School was a boys school! The other school, Dow Hill, was the girls school.
I can try to make contact with the Mt Hermon Alumni if we want to solve this puzzle - and I must admit it has got to me!!

Has QueenBess had any joy yet from her contact in Asansol re Rodney Bile?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 December 10 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Tony,
Let me write the text of the one page of a longer letter, although the pages of the letter that would identify the writer are missing, because the pic was in the folded page inside the envelope rightly or wrongly I assumed the letter had been written by Dorothy,

Here goes...............................                                                                                Victoria School
                                                                                                                                Kurseong
                                                                                                                                Dow Hill P.O.
                                                                                                                                D. r. H  Rly.
                                                                                                                                 1/12/49

Hiya Rod,
               I guess you must have thought that I had forgotten you, anyway I never forgot so soon.

Before I go any further allow me to wish you many happy returns of the day for the 20th. Oh! sorry I forgot, the 18th isn't it?
                                                                                                        Well Rod I am still here and am sitting for my J.C. I have passed in every one up to

The one page finishes here, it is written on light blue lined note paper, size 7" x 4" with no official letter heading.
With hindsight there are differences in the writing on the back of the pic and the writing in the letter.

If you wish to pm me with an address I will gladly forward it to you, I realise that it is not always prudent to give an address.

Regards
James

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 December 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi James,

It's certainly intriguing! I would love to solve this, (imagine your past catching up with you!) but it looks as though it will be a long term search.

I'm happy to take it over if you are agreeable. I still have a lot of contacts in the area through the various Alumni Associations. I'll PM you with my details

Tony

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 December 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

An update. Received the items in todays post, thanks.

Looking at the letter and the envelope, it's as though it was written by two different people! The letter and note on the picture are similar in writing style, but with differences as you pointed out, but the envelope is altogether a more adult script. I'm also wondering if the addressee is Rodney Bill, as opposed to Bile? Maybe QueenBess can clear that one up for us when she gets a response from her contacts in Asansol.

Having had no luck with the Victoria and Dow Hill School Alumni Assoc. I've also written to Mt Hermon Assoc. in the hope that someone there may recognise one of the girls in the picture. Disappointingly non-response at the moment!
Will keep you posted

Tony

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 December 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, maybe I should have scanned the envelope too, hope you have some success from your contacts.

James

Offline Daisy2013

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Gaynor Gardens/Estate
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 April 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello ,I'm new here and was trying to find out some more information about my fathers family.
I was wondering if there is/was any connection to the Gaynor's estate in Asonsol .
My father George Richard Gaynor (deceased ) was born in Mumbai in 1934 .His father
David Patrick Gaynor was born in 1911 I think in India. He married Dorothy Clarke (from England) but they lived in Mumbai .I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
My father moved to England when young and I only met my grandad once when I was a baby as I was born in England. There seems to be quite a lot of Gaynor's but hard to find out a lot of information of Gaynor's in India. I didn't know if Queenbess (if she is still on here )would be able to possibly to check with her contact at the Gaynor,s estate to see if my grandad has any connection to it.