Author Topic: Jones family, Dunany Point  (Read 28360 times)

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jones family, Dunany Point
« on: Friday 01 April 05 16:09 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about my ancestors who lived at the Jones quay, at Dunany
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family, Dunany Point
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Hermit,

Edward Jones and Robert Jones are shown as being at Dunany.
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/louth/dunany.htm Griffiths Valuation - Louth 1854

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher - many thanks for your posting.  I had visited the romchat page a few weeks ago, but I didn't appreciate the breadth of its contents - especially those of the Griffiths Valuation.  There are lots of leads there that I'll be following.
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline bernie jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hermit (from Hermitage roots?) My grandmother on my dads side was Frances (Fanny) Jones. I first visited her in Johnstown, Dunany at the age of six and went annually until I was sixteen, after which she passed away at the age of 86. My father was Stephen Sibthorpe Jones, he passed away seven years ago in England, aged 90. I have clear memories of the (ruins) of the Hermitage and Susan and Anne Jones's homes. I spent many a time at Jones Quay which was deserted by then but my dad said was very busy historically. I also remember Dunany House and going to have tea with Admiral England. I have visited the tomb of Sibthorpe Jones in Dunany. My brother has been tracing the family tree.  We knew quite a lot by grandma.I beleive our Coat of Alms was granted in the 1500s by King Richard (not sure which one). Michael Jones was senior in Cromwells army (sadly) and died I beleive in suspicious circumstances (poisoned?). My grandmother lived at the Hermitage as a girl but was disowned when she eloped with a catholic fisherman, Peter Caffrey. She had a long and happy life, bearin 12 children, my dad being one of the eldest. hope this helps, lovely to have contact. My name is Bernie (Bernadette) and I now live in Kerikeri, New Zealand. I have a copy of an old photo of the Hermitage. My dad told me several Jones went to America, is your name Edward? :)

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 11 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bernie: how wonderful to hear from you !!  The Edward Jones you mention is either Edward Henry Jones (1858 – 1934), my maternal grandfather, or else  his father, also Edward Jones (1821 – 1922).  I have a large collection of Jones descendants, in the British Isles and the USA  - and even a “lost” branch in Australia.  Later today I’ll be sending you a PM that can serve as a “starter kit”, and we can take it from there. There are lots of old photos, as well as many current ones – and many questions that are yet to be answered.  There are also several other people researching this Jones line  - including other descendants of  Fanny Jones Caffrey.

Again, thanks for your posting, and thanks to RootsChat.com!  There’s lots to follow –  Hermit

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 March 11 14:30 GMT (UK) »
RootsChat members require 3 posts before they have full access to the Private Message system - so bernie will need a few more replies first.

see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bluemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Bernie: how wonderful to hear from you !!  The Edward Jones you mention is either Edward Henry Jones (1858 – 1934), my maternal grandfather, or else  his father, also Edward Jones (1821 – 1922).  I have a large collection of Jones descendants, in the British Isles and the USA  - and even a “lost” branch in Australia.  Later today I’ll be sending you a PM that can serve as a “starter kit”, and we can take it from there. There are lots of old photos, as well as many current ones – and many questions that are yet to be answered.  There are also several other people researching this Jones line  - including other descendants of  Fanny Jones Caffrey.

Again, thanks for your posting, and thanks to RootsChat.com!  There’s lots to follow –  Hermit

I currently live in dunany and am looking for some history and any images to do with dunany dunany  point the hermatage,  any help would be great

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello bluemac - thanks for your post.  My earlier reply to user bernie jones mentions my maternal grandfather Edward Jones, whose father (also named Edward Jones) had a coal-importing business at the Jones Quay.  He married Maria Mulroy   - their marriage is mentioned in a plaque that's mounted in the baptistry at St. Colmcille's church in Togher.  Edward and Maria had a number of children, whose descendants' family names are among those cited in the bernie jones reply. 

Please let me know what your areas of interest are, and I'll post a reply with further details.
Hermit

Offline bluemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any old images of the boats, the quay images of the area etc, I am also developing a product and want to use some dunany heritage in images and icons, as i think the area could have the relevant history... do you know if the boats brought in any alcohol etc.. for shipping on.

also any old remedies, or folk law type stories could be interesting.