Author Topic: Jones family, Dunany Point  (Read 28476 times)

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family, Dunany Point
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
I'm not aware, from the family oral history, of any imports other than coal - but in looking through some old correspondence I came across an article in the Journal of the County Louth Archaeological and Historical Society by Michael Coyle, entitled "Sailing Vessels of Annagassan and Dunany in the County Louth", Volume XIX, number 4 (1980), page 264.  I believe that the Louth County Library in Dundalk has this journal.  My great grandfather's several ships are among those mentioned.
Hermit
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline carla barbato

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 May 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernie, I am Thomas Caffrey's grandaughter, Carla. I think we may have met when I was younger.Thomas was one of many ! Was Stephen your father? I too would love to learn more about the Caffrey family.

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Carla – welcome to Rootschat.  I do have some information about the Jones/Caffrey connection, which starts with the Richard Jones who built “The Hermitage” at the Jones Quay.  He married Mary Anne Sibthorpe.  Their third son was John Foster Jones, who married H. E. Hopkins;  their son Richard married Margaret Henry, and their children were John S., William, Robert, Fanny (sometimes spelled Fannie), Alice, and Florence.  (By the way, Fanny is a given name – not a nickname for Frances).  Fanny married Peter Caffrey, and their son Stephen M. (presumably the one you mention) married Nora Kilgallon.
Information on the living generations that follow Stephen and Nora cannot be displayed on a RootsChat posting, but I’ll send you a Personal Message with contact information on several Caffreys who know more than I do.
Hermit
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
RootsChat members require 3 posts before they have full access to the Private Message system - so carla barbato will need one more reply first.

see : http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline JonesBackThen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 September 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Hermit - I'm descended from the same dunany jones - through edward, married to maria mulroy - my great grandfather would have been thomas, who married Kate Hughes. Hallo!

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hallo indeed, JonesBackThen - how nice to hear from you.  My maternal grandfather, Edward H. Jones, was a brother of the Thomas who marred Kate Hughes.  I'll be glad to bring you up to date on the parts of the family tree that I'm familiar with, but I believe that it would be easier to do so by a Personal Message, which I'll send later today.
Hermit

Offline JonesBackThen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
I think I have the family tree that you put together - am one of Mary nee Jones' daughters. I have to have 3 posts before I can pm, so this is number 2!

Offline JonesBackThen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 September 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Here's my third post and hopefully I can message you then. Isn't the internet just amazing?

Offline Storm33OOD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 September 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all, may I join in? I am Mike, youngest son of Mary Rose Jones (born Jan 8th 1920) daughter of Charles Jones of Annagassan. My great grandfather was Frank Jones from Dunany. As I write, I am visiting Annagassan, where I have numerous cousins, many of whom have fragments of the family history. I have many snippets from my mum, who remembers as a child visiting "Aunt Susan" at Dunany Quay, told me stories of a great uncle - Edward, who emigrated to Buffalo NY. Mum worked as a young girlAs things stand, my mum, who had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Jones family history is currently 93 years old and gravely ill in a nursing home in Castlebellingham, so unfortunately not in a position to contribute - though I'm sure she would appreciate a prayer or two over the next few days if you are so inclined. Her youngest brother Frank, lives in Annagassan, and still farms some of the family land at Dunany. I have had access to some family research carried out by a Sr. Sheila Flood - who unfortunately passed on a few years ago. my mum was in contact with her as was mums eldest brother Eddie, unfortunately he also died about 4 years ago.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the circumstances here, the situation with mum is fairly inevitable and with it will pass a great deal of knowledge of the family history, however, as I write, it is good to establish contact with another couple of sources to fill in the gaps of my patchy knowledge. whilst I have some family documentation, it's not with me - I've travelled light on a trip not intended as a holiday, will be happy to share it on my return to my home in England. I do however have access to Frank - will see him for the usual cup of tea in the morning, before going to see mum - he will be thrilled to hear that some lost family connection may be established and we should be able to supply at least some of the more recent bits of the puzzle, should you be interested.

Mum's wish is that she rest in the cemetary in Dunany with her dad and younger sister Annie, (Eddie, Susie, Celia, Charles, Monica and Theresa are buried in Kilsaran, William (Bill) in Gateshead, England) so should you find yourselves visiting on any future research trips, spend a moment with them - it's a very peaceful and beautiful spot. Would be great to hear from any of you, best regards, Mike Hanley (mjg_hanley@yahoo.co.uk)