Author Topic: William Laurie, Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio  (Read 14266 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William Laurie, Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
1860 Springfield, Clark Co, Ohio
There is an Eliza L Ludlow, born c1835, Pennsylvania.  She was married to James W Ludlow, age 27.  They had a child: Charles H, age 6, born Ohio.

After a very quick search, I did not see the family in 1870.  I wonder if she could be "your" Eliza?

We are moving my computer to another table.  I will be back later tonight.  Sorry to leave in the middle of this.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Sandra I see what you mean regarding the bairn.
If it was Willies he would be 60-ish when it was born.
Just wishful thinking on my part.
Of course I'm not even sure he is mine.
I sure hope so.
A civil war vet and all!

It's way past my bedtime but I'm too excited to sleep.
I'll log off and log on tomorrow.
Guid nicht a'

p.s Lisa I've just read your reply while trying to post mine.
You'll be back later tonight and I'll be back later tomorrow.
It's a date!
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
There is an anc.try tree for a Charles Henry Ludlow 1854 in Springfield, Clark, Ohio. Son of James Ludlow Birth 19 Jul 1832 in Springfield, Clark, Ohio Death 24 Mar 1912 in Springfield, Clark, Ohio.
Mother Eliza Metzger died 1866 in Springfield, Clark, Ohio.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Sandra,
You wrote that William was a carpenter in the 1860 census.
Was he married/single?

The marriage in 1872 would make him age 50-ish.
Could he have been married before?

Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
1860 Census Dayton Ward 6, Montgomery, Ohio

This is all the information the 1860 gives.

John Allen 30 Born Scotland. Teacher at Com School. Value of Personal Estate $350
Jenie Allen 32 Born Scotland
Jenette Allen 7 Born Ohio
James Allen 4 Born Ohio
Thomas Allen 2 Born Ohio
William Laurie 40 Born Scotland. Carpenter.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
I tried searching for Fyffes arriving around the time that William arrived, and there were quite a few names.  If you have names and birthdates of his cousins, we could have a look.  In the meantime, I will check the ship on which he sailed, in case they were on the same voyage (I forgot to check his ship last night).  :-\

Udate:  No Henderson or Fyffe passengers on board William's ship.  Of course, this William may not be the same person who is shown as living in Ohio.
---------
I don't think we have searched for Henderson on earlier census returns, have we?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
I didn't see any Laurie names, besides William's, in Woodland Cemetery.  However, if he was married before 1872, she could have passed away near her family home, or just about anywhere.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
How thoroughly have you searched Canadian records?  Could there be a chance that William sailed to Canada and lived there?  Do you know if his cousins sailed directly to Canada, or did they sail to the states and eventually settle in Ontario?

I will be leaving for work shortly.  I hope to check back here tonight.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
It looks like the family William was living with in Montgomery was also living in Dayton (Ward 7) in 1870:
John Allen, 43, Scotland, ? Paper Hanger
Jennie, 41
Nattie W, 16
James M, 14
Thomas C, 11
Anna M, 8
Robert, 2