Author Topic: Powell of Roscrea - 18th/19thC  (Read 2893 times)

Offline mbridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powell of Roscrea - 18th/19thC
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
I'm descended from Nathaniel Powell, who graduated MD at Edinburgh University in 1798 and died at Roscrea, where I believe he had practiced medicine, on 14 September 1817. He left eight children by his wife Harriet (dau. of John Allman, of Co. Clare and sister of Capt. Francis Allman of New South Wales) and was ancestor of several doctors.

The notice of his graduation in The Edinburgh Magazine states that he was from Ireland, but I don't know whether or not he was from Roscrea/Co. Tipperary. I wondered if anyone else had come across this family or knew anything about its origins? One relative believed that the family crest was a lion rampant with a sheaf of corn.

Many thanks,

Mark

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Powell of Roscrea - 18th/19thC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Henry Nathanial Powell, his son, married Amy Liversidge, my great aunt. We have their photo album, now very battered, with some labelled photos of Powells, plus many unlabelled ones, if you are interested contact me.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Did Nathaniel have a brother or cousin called Caleb Powell?
He married Rebecca Burgess.
Maggsie

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
My gggrandaunt Sarah Acheson (abt 1831-1912) married 1858 William Powell (abt 1833-1913), son of Caleb Powell and Ellen Dagg from Blean, Latteragh, Co. Tipperary.
Blean is 26 km away of Roscrea, both in North Tipperary.

In the census 1901 there are 145 Powell's in Co. Tipperary and quite some of them in the area around Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. In the census 1911 there were 162 people having the surname Powell and living in Co. Tipperary.
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 February 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Henry Nathaniel Powell, his [grand]son, married Amy Liversidge, my great aunt. We have their photo album, now very battered, with some labelled photos of Powells, plus many unlabelled ones, if you are interested contact me.
[correction]:  John Allman Powell (1817-1879) must have been Nathaniel's last child before he died of typhus.  JAP remained one of Roscrea's doctors, marrying Eliza Castles in 1848 and having 4 daughters and 4 sons, three of whom followed the same profession.  Henry Nathaniel was the eldest, and I suspect might have done the same, but failed to qualify.  He is always recorded as an unspecified 'gentleman'; he died of Bright's disease in 1899.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Miracula,
I was asked two years ago if I could help a lady with the Powell and Dagg family, your Powell and Dagg.
I got as far back as 1668 to a John Powell and an Ann Pickett. Their son John married a Dagg.
Then 4 gen's later Caleb Powell married Eleanor Dagg.
If I said to you "Riversdale" would it mean anything to you?
Maggsie

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 21 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie,
Riversdale is a townland in Co. Galway, but has so far no meaning for me.
I think I was in contact as well with the person you mention. Because the majority of the ancestors of my iris grandmother Mary Louisa Acheson was CoI the intermarriage brings familytrees "together"!
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi