Author Topic: Thornhill Ancestry  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Zanziguy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Thornhill Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find records in Thornhill, England for CARDWELL.  In particular, I am looking for details about Robert Cardwell born on or before 1762 in Thornhill, son of William Cardwell (1737) / Mary of Hostingly, son of John Cardwell (1709) and Martha Wainwright (1706).   

There is a dispute over what happened to Robert Cardwell.   Did he stay in England (have a family), or did he leave and come to Campbell County, Virginia?   I would like to confirm his birth in or near Thornhill and parents and siblings, but then determine if there is any death or other burial records, or other records of Robert and/or his father, siblings, etc. to piece together his final resting place and descendants.

There is confusion over whether Robert Cardwell (and other Cardwells) first immigrated Thornhill to East Tyrone, Ireland before immigrating to Virginia, or directly to America, or was there two Robert Cardwells.  Is there any history in Thornhills of having relatives, or passage, or immigration to Ireland.
Cardwell Virginia Missouri Illinois Peconic

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornhill Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

The parish registers for Thornhill are online at archive.org.  If you search for Thornhill registers, there are three - volume 30, volume 40 and volume 53.

If you click on 'read online' at the right hand side you can do a search.  There are lots of Cardwell's but I didn't find a Robert.

Let me know if my instructions aren't very clear!

Sandra

Offline mermaidmeg

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornhill Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry for a very delayed response. William and Mary are my ancestors and I have their children in my tree but can’t find a Robert born to them