Author Topic: Sheriff of Nottingham and Blaggs  (Read 7802 times)

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sheriff of Nottingham and Blaggs
« on: Friday 01 April 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for Blaggs.  Mine seem to come from Nottingham but also there is a hint of Manchester.  Any Blagg descendants out there.  I read a note that suggested there was once a Sheriff of Nottingham whose name was Blagg - did he know Robin Hood?

My Blagg is George born in 1808 to Richard and possibly Ann Caunt.  George was born in Halam near Nottingham.  I am trying to find where Richard Blagg came from.  It seems logical that he came from Nottinghamshire he was married at Whatton - but there are no records of any Richard's in Notts at this time - just in Manchester and Nantwich - hum - and we do have a Manchester connection.  One of George's daughters was married in Manchester.  George moved north some time between 1841 and 1847 to Bolton Lancashire.

Any Blagg about?  This is an old and very successful family (ie success in descendants there are millions of them!)

Frances in the Yukon
FB

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Sheriff of Nottingham and Blaggs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 05 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Baptisms that I have for Richard/Ann Blagg
William 11 Sept 1803 at Arnold
Richard 28 April 1816 at All Hallows Gedling Abode Workhouse Gedling
Thomas 16 Aug 1818 at St Peter Radford Abode Radford Occ. Labouer
Francis 7 May 1820 at St Peter Radford Abode Radford Occ. Labourer
Mary 29 Sept 1822 at St Peter Radford Abode Radford Occ. Labourer
Eliza 17 Sept 1826 at St Mary Nottm Abode Pierrepoint St Nottm Occ. Labourer
I have a George Blagg in the 1841 census at Lenton Nottm Abode York Houses Lenton Nottm
George Blagg age 25 Occ. Millman
Sarah age 30
Emmerline age 10
Eliza age 8
Frances age 6
Ann age 12
Richard age 3
William age 9 months
All born Nottingham

Regards,

Mable

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 05 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mable,
Yes that is my George from the 1841 census, I also have him on the 1851 census result too thanks to a kind person using RootsChat.  My sister also got me the wedding certificate of his daughter Eliza who is my great great grandma so I know for sure that he is the son of Richard and possibly Ann Caunts of Nottingham who married in Whatton in 1802.  My problem now is finding said Richard.  From the looks of things Richard and Ann moved around a little bit in Nottingham, never very far away from the city.  They must have been Lacemakers.  I know that George was involved in the process of making Lace as a Gasser and his wife Sarah described herself as a Lace Maker so presume that his dad did the same.  So it would make sense that he came from the Nottingham area but the only Richard's I can find of the right age are from Manchester and /or Nantwich.  I know the IGI is not all inclusive and cannot be relied on so how do I discover my Richard?

Another thing I found today is the Blagg's seemingly come from the "Forest" of Macclesfield and were Yeomen in the middleages.  They are very prolific and are all over the States, Canada etc so there must be someone somewhere who knows more.

Just a bit frustrated.  These are the births I found who may be Georges siblings, actually only one addition another Elizabeth in 1810 in Halam and I didn't have William - whose birth would makes sense.

Okay thanks for your input.  Are you a Blagg??  I ask because you have a Blagg name one that puzzles me - there was a Mable Blagg who married in 1841 in Bolton Lancashire - she is the only Blagg in Bolton I can't account for.  My Blaggs arrived there just before 1850. :o

Frances in the Yukon
FB

Offline chrissiepoos

• RootsChat Member
  • Born in England, but now an Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 05 07:39 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Blagg name for a old friend of the family, her Mum was Annie Blagg born in Bullwell 1888, her Dad was Thomas born in East Bridgford 1864, and also her grandfather Thomas born in Worksop 1832.
Her father worked at Bestwood colliery.
I know Annie lived in Stockport Manchester.
hope this might be of interest to you.
Pallants from Aldeburgh Suffolk
Earles from Cornwall
Seldons from Cornwall
Hammonds from Cambridge
Turners from Chertsey

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 05 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In the National Burial Index on the 25 Sept 1828 Richard Blag age 47 buried at Lenton Holy Trinity
One of my relatives married a Francis Blagg on 6 Nov 1890 at South Collingham had one child but he died in 1919 in Nottingham of the flu.
Francis Father was Thomas Blagg born Car Colston Nottm his wife was Grace Goulson born Kipton Leicester Occ. Farmer's

Mable.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 05 16:52 BST (UK) »
So Richard (if it is my Richard) was born 1781.

My daughter was saying that they only had a few first names in the "old" days for men - Francis, Thomas, Richard, James are favourites of the Blagg family.  Has anyone heard of Hewin?  I guess a spelling of Ewan.  There was a Hewin Blagg in Manchester in 1780s.

Thanks for your help.

Frances in the Yukon
FB

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, There are lots of Blaggs in Retford and Worksop. Nottinghamshire. Also farmers named Blagg Shireoaks, Nr Worksop.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, those Blaggs are everywhere - this part of my family was very successful - lots of descendants!  My lot ended up living in Barrow Bridge Bolton Lancashire and working at the Model Mills there making Stockings!  George was an overlooker which sort of horrified me at first but since he was working in a Model Mill he couldn't have been such a bad guy.  They provided the workers a Newspaper (probably one for the whole lot I suppose), hot water for tea and a cafeteria - all in the 1850s! 

This is also the fartherest back I have got with my family - I have got stuck around the end of the 18th century - 

Perhaps the most important part of discovering our family trees is learning about history.  Looking up Nottingham I discovered that the Luddites orginated there and that my family would have been deeply affected by them and the industrial revolution - which possibily forced George and his family tomove north and I am glad he found a better place to live.

I haven't given up on them yet - so I will look up your suggestions.
Thanks
Frances
FB

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances

As you may be interested in stockingers have you seen my photos of Ruddington Framework Knitters museum

http://photobucket.com/albums/y277/swanjane/Ruddington%20Framework%20Knitters%20Museum/

I hope you find it interesting.

I live in Nottingham and have many relatives who were framework knitters which then developed into lace.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk