Author Topic: peter dixon  (Read 4785 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: peter dixon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 July 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Something to think about and follow up -

There is a marriage 1850 but is in Manchester  :-\
Peter Dixon and Margaret Howarth

AS they had a child Heyworth, I was thinking that Margaret might be Heyworth but I can't see any suitable marriage.
A child's birth certificate would give you her name.

However there is this in 1841 HO107; Piece 506; Book: 5;  Folio: 13
Water Street or Taylor's Row Haslingden
James Smith 60 yrs Weaver
Adam Heyworth 30 yrs C Printer
Ellen Heyworth 30 yrs
John Heyworth 15 yrs
Margaret Heyworth 12 yrs
Ellen Heyworth 8 yrs
Alice Heyworth 6 yrs
Dorinda Heyworth 3 yrs
Susan Heyworth 1 yrs

lots of things that fit.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline H011and

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 November 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I have this marriage certificate and it contains errors.  Margaret and her father Adam are shown as Howarth but Margaret actually signs her name as Heyworth.  They are my great, great grandparents.  I was hoping the certificate would prove Pickup Dixon was Peter Dixon's father but on the marriage certificate it gives Peter Dixon as father of the groom.  I believe this is another error.  Peter and Margaret's first child was named Adam Pickup Dixon which I have always thought was after both their fathers.  Incidentally, Pickup Dixon was married twice, unhelpfully, each time to an Ellen.  His first wife was Ellen Ashton and his second wife was Ellen Cunliffe. I know this post is old now but would love to make contact with anyone else researching Pickup Dixon.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 November 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Baptism 1824 St. Mary Virgin, Blackburn. Peter Dixon, son of Pickup Dixon & Ellen. abode Blackburn. Occupation shoemaker.
Baptism 1822 St. James Accrington. Peter Dixon, son of William Dixon & Hannah, born May 1822. Abode Accrington. Occupation shoemaker. This Peter apparently died aged 3.

Was this your Pickup Dixon:
Baptism 1797 St. James Accrington. Parents Peter & Susan.
Marriage 1833 St. James Accrington Pickup Dixon to Ellen Cunliffe.
Burial 1866 St. James Accrington. Pickup Dixon, aged 70. Abode Church St. (Was at 39 Church St. on 1861 census.)
Possible marriage of parents of Pickup Dixon: 1789 St. James Altham. Peter Dixon of Church Kirk & Susan Pickup of Accrington.
(Lancs OPC)

A witness at wedding of Peter Dixon to Margaret in Manchester 1850 was Grimshaw Westwell. He was from Clayton-le-Moors and baptised at Altham.
Birth registration of Adam Pickup Dixon had mother's maiden name Heyworth, as did births of Peter, Herbert and Ashton. (Lancashire BMD) Birth of Herbert (1864) also has MMN Keyworth in index.

There was another Pickup Dixon in Accrington. born 1818, son of Mary Dixon. He was baptised 1835 St. James, Accrington. ( LAN OPC)
Cowban

Offline H011and

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and apologies for not replying sooner.  I think this is my Pickup Dixon and that Peter Dixon's marriage certificate is incorrect in the name of his father.  I have always believed that Peter and Margaret named their first child after each of their fathers, hence Adam Pickup Dixon but I cannot think of another way to prove that Pickup Dixon is my ancestor.  He and his family lived close to the Heyworths so it is not improbable that Peter and Margaret were neighbours before their marriage.  I also think that Peter Dixon and Susan Pickup were Pickup Dixon's parents.  There is a record for the burial of a Susan Dickson aged 25 wife of Peter Dickson in 1801.  This would have made her 13 at the time of her marriage - I understand that the legal age for marriage back then was 12.  Perhaps people married but did not live together until they were older.  She would have been 21 or so when Pickup was born.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
HO11 In answer to your reply # 12.
With regard to the marriage certificate which you say is incorrect. Is it one you purchased and if so, from where? Certificates obtained from GRO are copies. Those bought may be copies of copies; 2 chances for errors. The County Record Office at Preston holds original certificates. The Peter Dixon & Margaret Heyworth wedding was in Manchester. Check on Lancs BMD to see where original cert. for that marriage is now.
Burial of Susan Dixon. Are you sure it was her and that the age was correct? Where did the information come from? Recorded age at death wasn't always correct.

BTW the reason the name of the wedding witness Grimshaw Westwell caught my eye was that I knew the surname Westwell from the Accrington area. He was another one with a surname for 1st name, called after his grandfather.
Cowban

Offline dicko176

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but I would like to add a little more information and hopefully shed more light on the Pickups/Dixons of Accrington.
My third great-grandfather is Pickup Dixon born 1818 in Accrington, baptised in Accrington in 1835 aged 17 and married Louisa Pugh in Didsbury in 1841. He lived in Manchester until his death in Chorlton upon Medlock in 1858. The very one mentioned by Maiden Stone.
My problem with Pickup is that only his mother Mary is noted at his baptism, and the column for his father's name on his marriage certificate is blank. I do believe however that this is another case where a surname is used as a Christian name and Pickup is the son of Mary Dixon born 1793 daughter of Peter and Susannah (formerly Pickup) Dixon who had a brother Pickup born 1797.