Author Topic: 1871 Look up Welford - KNIGHT (missing pages??)  (Read 11979 times)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Look up Welford - KNIGHT (missing pages??)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 05 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for all the information. 

Regards

Susan
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline janep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 05 00:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Susan
I have added their details to my long list of details to be put on the computer.
 1891 William 48 Wellford (sic) is in West Derby Lancs, could this guy be the son of George and Sarah? Or Thomas and Louisa?
I don't currently have a note for him for 1881 but he should be easy enough to find and I would guess he is the father of the William aged 8 in 1871 who is in Lancs that year. Wonder where William sen was in 1851? Not with G and S so maybe he was T and L's son, do you have their 1851 details at all?
regards
Jane

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 05 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

William (1843 Welford) was the son of Thomas and Louisa Knight.

1881 Rose Cottage, West Derby Rd., West Derby, Lancs.

William Knight    Head    38    Bricklayer Contractor       b: Welford
                                               employing 3 men 1 boy
Emma A             Wife      35                                                Smockington, Warks
Louisa A             Dau        4                                                West Derby, Lancs
Edith A               Dau        2                                                          ditto

In 1861 Back St., Welford

Thomas Knight   Head    46   Bricklayer                              Welford
Louisa                wife      46                                                  ditto
William               son       18   Bricklayer                                ditto
Alfred                 son       14   Bricklayer                                ditto
Hannah              dau       11   Tuscan(?) Weaver                  ditto
Emily                  dau         9
Thomas              son         7   Scholar                                   ditto
Sarah                 dau         4   Scholar                                   ditto

Living in next house to George and Mary.

Still haven't solved the conundrum of where they all the Welford Knight's were in 1871!

The John Knight you are seeking do you know where was he born and what occupation?

Regards

Susan

Offline janep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan
MY John KNIGHT married Sarah SIKES in 1820 at Little Houghton both otp. John was a farm lab. In 1851 both gave pob as LH. I have found Sarah who was actually bp as Sally(!) but no John.
He would have been bc 1798 and Esther c 1796. There was apparently an Esther bp in Great Houghton round about then but I haven't confirmed this as yet.
John and Sarah bp all their children with great promptitude at the LH church so they were not non cons but I have wondered about whether John was RC! (unlikely I know)
I started my KNIGHT list in order to eliminate all those spare JOHN's that are lurking on the IGI. I now have a list of several hundred KNIGHT individuals from 1841 and 51, marriages to 1840  PLUS many other names as well I have picked up on the way through.
As yet no further with my John but the bext stage is to travel further back, it's hard enough with the census details putting the families together!
I have some entries for 1871 but not for Welford, sorry BUT if you can't find them listed as KNIGHT try WRIGHT, the two names are often mixed up ( ialso have a number of Wrights on my first stab at census transcription till I got better at it)
One point that might be of help (if your earlier LEI families are the same as what I have noticed in NTH) is that there are in fact very few instances of two children the same age with the same name in any one village. There are only two Charles in 1841 who I cannot place with certainty with the correct family in 1851 (they've left home by then). All the others are reasonably easy to trace once you have the full list infront of you.
If yours are in Welford for the other census then I would say they are still there in 1871 (probably in Back Street!), try Wright for starters and let me know how you get on.

regards
Jane

PS Thanks Sandy , I only just saw you had replied.

houghton

Offline Naumaih

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry folks.Made an error in this first message so have reposted.

Offline Naumaih

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
I am also having a problem with the 1871 Census for Welford at Ancestry.com as I need to find all my husband's KNIGHT and BILLING ancestors who lived there.For some reason, Welford doesn't seem to have been included.I have managed to find most of them in 1861,1881,1891 and 1901.
 George KNIGHT b.1785 at Market Harborough and his wife Mary were my husband's great great great grandparents.Their son Thomas KNIGHT who married Louisa BILLING in Welford about 1835 is the line that he descends from albeit a female one as it was their daughter Emily who married into the BROWN family from Kenilworth and then lived in West Derby,Liverpool,Lancs. The KNIGHTS,BILLINGS AND BROWNS were all in the building trade which is probably how they all met.
I look forward to hearing from you and anyone else connected to any of these lines. :D

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know if you would be interested but I have a one name study on the knight family it was sent to me by the owner in 2003 I would be willing to send you a copy if it would be any good to you

audrey

Offline Naumaih

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for publishing the info. below. as it has helped fill a gap in my knowledge of the Welford KNIGHTs. It would be great if I could get this line further back!
By the way, which church was this marriage in- the Parish church or Welford Independent?

Here is George snr marriage at Welford to Mary.

George KNIGHT otp, bachelor Mary WILSON otp, spinster 1810 29-Nov Welford

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 May 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Naumaih

George Knight (1785) and Mary were also my 3 x greatgrandparents  :D

George and Mary married at Welford Independent (which is still open  - Welford Congregational Chapel).

I am descended through the Knight's my father being Maurice Knight 1916-2001.

George Knight (1785) died 13th February 1880 aged 95 (good age).  I have certificate if you would like copy.

It's super finding someone else tracing same family  :D

Susan