Author Topic: Any Potesta in Mullingar....  (Read 2902 times)

Offline GfL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Potesta in Mullingar....
« on: Thursday 29 July 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is a total shot in the dark but.......I am trying to help my cousin re his grandfather, Sidney (Sydney) Herbert Potesta.  Sidney Potesta was born in 1874 in, we believe, Deptford, Kent in England but he enlisted with the Royal Irish Rifles in 1889 in Mullingar when he was 14 years old and served until end of 1918.  We have all his military records but nowhere is his father's name mentioned.

Although we know of his military life and have his marriage and death certificates we cannot locate his birth certificate.  We do not know who his father was.   His mother was Mary Ann Jane Potesta nee Moore.   She remarried in 1886 and the wedding certificate states/confirms she is a widow and her surname is Potesta, she became a Parrey.  We cannot find a wedding certificate for her to a Potesta anywhere even allowing for variations in spelling of the surname !!

We are starting to think there may be an Irish connection, maybe her 1st husband Mr Potesta was Irish ? Does anyone know of any Potesta's in Mullingar back then?  Have any connection to a Potesta ?  Perhaps that is why Sidney was in Ireland at such a young age and with Mullingar having a large barrack enlisted.

Any help  / ideas would be gratefully welcomed.

Thank you

GfL  :)

Evans, Price, Jenkins, Lewis - Llancarfn, Llansannor, Mynyddislwyn, Trefegwlys, Aberdare, Abercarn
Edwards, Hodgson, Searle, Titchener, Tarran, Armstrong - Richmond, Walton-on-Thames, Kingston, Surrey, Lynesack & Softley, Etherley, Cockfield, Hamsterley, Durham, County Wexford
Potesta - Kingston, Surrey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any Potesta in Mullingar....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
There's an earlier post on Potesta family-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,469836.msg3311191.html#msg3311191

Looking in civil registration index for 'Potesta' I can't see a marriage for Sidney's mother Mary. There are only a few entries for the surname there.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

And searching wider in LDS Pilot site only shows 1 Potesta marriage in Ireland- Sidney's:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

No Potesta in 1901 Irish census and Sidney, wife and child only ones there in 1911.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GfL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,

Thank you for your help.  THe National Archives site was particulary interesting but I am obviously doing something wrong as I still cannot get any finds on the Latter Day Saints site  !

The other post you mention was made by me and then I found this section, as you can guess, this is a new site to me but one that looks full of helpful people.

Kind regards,
Sarah
Evans, Price, Jenkins, Lewis - Llancarfn, Llansannor, Mynyddislwyn, Trefegwlys, Aberdare, Abercarn
Edwards, Hodgson, Searle, Titchener, Tarran, Armstrong - Richmond, Walton-on-Thames, Kingston, Surrey, Lynesack & Softley, Etherley, Cockfield, Hamsterley, Durham, County Wexford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
THe National Archives site was particulary interesting but I am obviously doing something wrong as I still cannot get any finds on the Latter Day Saints site  !
If you put in only the surname and 'Ireland' on the search page then you should see the entries.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nicolehNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Did Jane go onto marry Benjamin Parrey? 
Glover (Audley, Madeley), Telford (Ireland, Scotland, Australia), Quigley (Ireland, Scotland), Davies (England, Australia, New Zealand). Ross (Scotland, New Zealand)

Offline GfL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicoleh13

Yes, she did marry a Benajmin Parry.

Do you have a connection ?

GfL  :)