Author Topic: Preston Shop +Cummins  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Preston Shop +Cummins
« on: Friday 30 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have such faith in the magic powers of the experts here that before I slog all the way to Preston, can anyone think of an easy way to try to confirm / refute that a James Cummins had a sort of Army& Navy type store somewhere in Preston, Lancs, round about the time of WWI ( 1914 - 1918), please? It might give me somewhere to start from, if I knew there actually was such a shop...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Preston Shop +Cummins
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
In the  General & Commercial Directory of Preston, 1917, there is only one Cummins listed and that is John Cummins, Head Master at St.Josephs School

There is a Bridget Cummings listed as a Shopkeeper, also a Margaret Cummings listed as a Shopkeeper and Lodging House Keeper
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at the Historical Directories held at Preston Harris Library and in the period you are looking at, they only have 1910 and 1917 (which is free to view online) Directories of Preston, there is no mention of any James Cummins.  In the 1922 Directory of Preston, there is a mention of a James Cummings, a Foreman Shunter of Parkington Street

Both Bridget and Margaret Cummings were listed as Shopkeepers in the 1910

Kind regards

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your efforts, no, the John Cummins is an unlikely one! Neither the Bridget nor the Margaret sound likely ladies, either... Thank you for the information about the gaps in the directories. I must get organised about working out how to use libraries in Lancashire online. It's just so much nicer handling real books, isn't it? Thanks again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

It probably is not the person that you are seeking but it is interesting to note that Bridget Cummin(g)s had a son called James and the letter "g" was only added to their surname after her husband had died. Prior to that, they were listed as Cummins (and with a stronger Irish brogue in 1881, they are shown as Commons).

Is it a possibility that James might have taken over the grocery shop from Bridget and converted into a new line of goods ?

Preston RG13/3953 Folio 11 Page 14

Bridget Cummings Head W 46 Shopkeeper (Grocer) Ireland
John do Son S 25 Directory Agent W.S. America
James do Son S 21 Railway Porter Preston Lancashire

20 Silver Street, Preston

Preston RG12/3440 Folio 12 Page 17

William Cummins Head M 40 General Labourer Ireland
Bridget do Wife M 36 Retired Winder (Cotton) Ireland
John do Son S 15 Grocer's Shop Boy America
James do Son 11 Scholar Preston
Catherine Kennedy Lodger S 28 Cotton Winder Ireland

Click here

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:03 BST (UK) »

Spooky, I live next door :o :o :o

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 August 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Duck and Posteria, I suspect that Bridget's family may not be the right ones. I've gone through this Cummins / Cummings thing with older family, and there's one who is adamant that they are from Scotland, but the rest of us think it's probably Irish connection. We think James is s. of Thomas and Elizabeth, who ran a grocers in Southport towards the end of the l800s... James is quoted as a saddler, and branched out, and at one point seemed to be in the money a bit, living in a decent area of Southport, and, as I say, we thought there was another similar establishment set up by him in Preston area. Could have been just a fruitless long shot.