Author Topic: chilwell munitions factory WW1  (Read 33130 times)

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
chilwell munitions factory WW1
« on: Friday 01 April 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just wondering if anyone know's anything about the Chilwell munitions factory explosion in 1918?
My GGrandfather rescued people from there and earnt a medal, and went blind from the blast. Are there any websites of lists of survivors...or does anyone know what medal he may have been awarded?
Thanks
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: chilwell munitions factory WW1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Burto

Below are a couple of websites giving the general facts. If you live in the Nottingham area the local papers are available on microfilm from that time at the libraries and may have more info. If not get in touch again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series2/blast_chilwell_somme.shtml

http://www.nottsfhs.org.uk/society/journals/apr01.htm

It certainly was devastating as I know several local people that remember it well. Windows were broken in buildings several miles away. I will ask around to try get the info you want.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Famille Ricard

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Albert Edward Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 00:59 BST (UK) »
Would anybody know if they kept records of the personnel ?
And where could I find them?

My Great-Grandfather Albert Edward Knight worked there. On the day of the blast, he was off work & ill. Lucky for him !

Regards,
Claire
Atkinson (Northallerton, Yorkshire)<br />Bloxham (Warwickshire, Northamptonshire)<br />Burchell (St Luke, London)<br />Bushell (St Luke, London)<br />Frost (Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire - Coxbench, Derbyshire)<br />Hatcher (East Knoyle, Wiltshire - Bristol, Gloucestershire)<br />Holehouse (Derby, Derbyshire)<br />Hopcroft (Hobcroft) (Oxfordshire - Basford, Nottinghamshire)<br />Knight (Nottinghamshire)<br />Tibbert (Northamptonshire)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Burto,

Mrs Nellie Hall of Langley Mill was killed in the blast. She was remembered in the Langley Mill book of the fallen printed shortly after WW1. They mention that she was the only one of the canteen workers killed and that many were rescued.
Perhaps your GGrandfather was that man?

Mog.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline tricky tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
I worked in Chilwell depot for awhile,there is a memorial in there,but not sure if it has the names of those killed,i was told that no building was allowed on the piece of land where the explosion took place,as it was considered a burial site,as several of the victims were never found

Offline ilsonlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
134 people died and 250 were injured in the explosion on july 1st 1918. four women and eight men were awarded the obe my grandfather being one of them. 10,000 people worked there at the time.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ilson

Welcome to rootschat

What an amazing connection - you must be so proud of your grandfather
I wonder what award Burto's relative was awarded?

Mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline ilsonlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome cheshire.
I remember my father telling me when i was a young lad  that his father who worked at chilwell was awarded the obe after the explosion and i never forgot.
I have just read a very good book called "1918 year of victory" by malcolm brown who worked at the imperial war museum and the chilwell munitions explosion is mentioned. It tells you the names of the four women who won the award but not the names of the eight men.
It also states that the iwm have some hand written documents relating to the disaster, so i have contacted them and am just waiting for a reply. I might have to go to the iwm to read them if its possible.
I saw an old film of the chilwell munitions factory on a website last year but i cannot remember the address.It was really good. The obe stands for the honour of Officer of the Order of the british Empire
and was only formed in january 1918, so these were some of the first to be awarded.
If i receive any more information i will post it.

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 March 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Can remember my Gandma telling me about that terrible disaster, she said she heard the bang at Curzon Street, Long Eaton where she lived. She was told by a neighbour who was working at the depot and helped in the rescue of survivors that some of the victims were found embedded in the walls of the building the blast was that big, makes you think doesn't it.
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire