Author Topic: Scotland to PEI Canada -Brander  (Read 2482 times)

Offline nannieb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland to PEI Canada -Brander
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
I have 2 Branders - James & Alexander who show up in 1791 in a petition to government and then James is in the 1798 head of household census Lot 20 - Princetown PEI
No further info is known about Alexander.
James married Ann Taylor. He died in 1831. He is listed as 66 years which would make his birth about 1765. In the graveyard others from the same area on PEI  are listed as from Kintyre, Moray, Campbelltown.
Any suggestions as to how to find out where these guys might be from?

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland to PEI Canada -Brander
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
On the National Trust names website Brander is most frequent in the area between Moray and Skye. Kintyre and Cambelltown are blank, so a migration starting from Inverness or thereabouts seems likely.
Peter

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Familysearch shows 5 James Brander entries on the IGI (one born 24th Dec 1765 Elgin, Moray which is also on an Ancestral file). Where the place of birth is shown, all are from Moray.

Likewise with Alexander Brander, there are 4 entries on the IGI, all from Moray.

So Moray looks a strong contender, but you should look for yourself at Familysearch and perhaps contact the person who submitted the Ancestral file on James Brander b 24.12.1765.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 August 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
According to Bernard Bailyn's book Voyagers to the West the earliest settlers to Prince Edward Island come within the detailed Emigration Register of 1773-4 in the Public Record Office, London. Most of the ships from Northeast Scotland at that time sailed from Aberdeen initially. Local newspapers might have something useful.
Peter

Offline nannieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Peter - are these Emigration list found in that book?

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Only numerical tables derived from them unfortunately. The original registers  are among the Treasury papers at the Public Record office in London, though Professor Bailyn must have digitalised the originals in order to produce the tables. I was surprised that no-one had done so before.
Peter

Offline Dylan Hill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 02:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm a descendant of James Brander. I found this extension of our family tree one generation back from the James and Alexander you're speaking of here https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Brander-3

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Probably no connection to the people mentioned here, but a John Brander from Elgin had a trading empire in Tahiti in Victorian times, and eventually married a Tahitian princess, Tetuanui i reia i te Raiatea. When he died she married his business manager George Darsie, and they retired to Johnston Lodge in my home town of Anstruther in Fife. Local people all know the story of the Tahitian princess who lived in their midst, and she is buried in Anstruther Easter (St. Adrian's) churchyard.

It was said of John Brander that he produced "coconuts by the million; his culture of pearls produced pearl shell for Europe by the ton; his ships transported all the trade of the islands; his revenue was vast and his wealth estimated in millions." When he died (in 1877) it was found that he had gambled a lot of it away.

Harry