Author Topic: douglas vivier lemarchand  (Read 26942 times)

Offline blackangel

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
douglas vivier lemarchand
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:55 BST (UK) »
hi
im looking for info on a douglas vivier lemarchand,born 28 march 1925 trinity jersey,i want to know who he was all i know is that he was shot at 19 by german guards trying to leave the island for france...i know nothing else..if u have any info then please help
thank you
kirsty

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: douglas vivier lemarchand
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

Have a look at:

http://www.jerseywartunnels.com/content/media/le_marchand.aspx

I can also confirm that the Archive has a copy of the War Trial Papers, in which he is mentioned, from the occupation. I can have a look at this tomorrow.

Numerous books have been written on the Occupation and I'm sure that in one of them he'll be mentioned. I will look but it will probably be next week.

Stewart

Offline blackangel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
hi
yeh i saw that thank you....but i wanted to know who he was like his parents etc...proberbly a long shot but its just out of interest really...but please dont put urself out as its just something my auntie wanted me to look for so dont worry to much about it...thanks x

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

I have now found the basic details. Throughout the documents I have been looking at his surname has been spelt in various forms. Sometime as two words Le Mar..., sometimes ending "ant", sometimes "ard" and sometimes "art". To keep things simple I shall refer to hims as DVLeM.

DVLeM was born 28th March 1925 in Rozel, the son of Charles Le Marchant and Marie Albertine Vivier. Charles was born 11th October 1891 and appears from his Occupation Registration Card to have a middle name of Jules. He was a "journalier". Marie was born 25th October 1895.

They had at least 2 sons: Martyn George, born 17th May 1934 and Davis William born 4th May 1938.

DVLeM had previously been in trouble with the occupying forces. On 4th November 1943 he was given 4 months imprisonment for "military larceny". His address was given as 86, Halkett Place St Helier although his registration card indicates an address of 4, The Avenue, St Clement. A couple of days later a John Francis Douglas Le Marchand, born 2nd July 1921 of 4, The Avenue was also given 4 months for "military larceny". They are probably related but I have not investigated this further.

In the Occupation Diary by Edward Sinel, he gives the following account:

11th October 1944 – The party of four who tried to escape last night have met with disaster. It appears that the boat had become swamped and they had to put into Anne Port. When they had got ashore they brought up the motor of the boat and other equipment., but the Germans hearing movements, sent up Verey lights and challenged the figures they saw on the beach. There was no reply and shots were fired, one of the party DLeM, aged 19 years, being killed. The remainder were arrested.

12th October 1944 – A bag containing letters addressed to relatives of local residents has been picked up on the east coast. There are some which were to have been taken away by the ‘escapees’ and apparently dropped on the beach for they were quite dry when found. It is learned that DLeM was shot through the head but the Germans are guarding all particulars of the affair with great secrecy.

Anne Port is right underneath the walls of Mont Orguel Castle, which was headquarters of the military high-command. They couldn't have come ashore at a worse place. It's also sad that the occupation would end in 8 months time.

I hope that this gives you further insight.

Stewart

Offline Scanner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Maud Otter
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was Elizabeth Maud Otter, she had 2 sons and 1 daughter, my father as Frederick William Otter, brother of Harry Otter, sister of Maud Otter. Elizabeth Maud Otter died in Biberach, Germany. My Grandfather returned to England and, I believe, went to his home in Jersey with his son Harry about 1950. My father died in May 1950 in Worcestershire.
I have various letters and photographs.
I have just seen the posts referring to the Otter family and wondering if you are a relative of mine?
Lesley Anne

Offline blackangel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
hi
no sorry im no relative..my auntie took a trip to jersey and they where given a persons name and they had to find out about them...she was elizabeth otter and my uncle was douglas lemarchand....she was just interested in what they told her about this lady and ask me to find out more...sorry if thats a dissapointment  :)

Offline Shoni Claire Honeycombe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi my grandfather was John Le Marchand and his brother was Douglas Le Marchand. All I know is he was shot trying to leave with others and they all lived. Would like more info if possible. Thanks

Offline Sonia Hemming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kristy  my uncle David Le Marchand's brother was shot on the beach trying to leave the island by the Germans.. his brothers name is David not Davis born 4th May... he is my uncle. Douglas is buried in the German Underground Hospital. my uncle never got over this

please contact me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Kirsty hasn't been online here since 2012 and didn't return after the previous comment in 2015 so won't have got a notification that posted.

That might have been because her email address doesn't work now.

However, I'll send her a personal message to let her know about the posts and see if she comes back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea