Author Topic: Family Search - Roxburghshire  (Read 6443 times)

Offline rannoch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Search - Roxburghshire
« on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone put me in touch with a family Allan farmers and butchers in or around Kelso in 1870s and after? One name I have is Richard Allan.
Also linked by marriage to McDougall-from Jedburgh at same time
All contact lost!

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search-Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Rannoch. Don't get too excited, because I can't answer your question, but I'm pretty excited myself as I have been researching my family-history for about 30 years and you are the first person I have ever come across who is interested in the Allans of Kelso.

How far back have you traced them? Not only were they butchers for generations, but they were intermarried with the other butcher families of Kelso - the Stewarts, Lockies and Learmonths. I can trace my Allans back to the marriage of a Richard Allan and Jean Johnston in 1717, and I'm pretty sure that Richard was the son of William Allan and Margaret Pasley.

The name Richard was obviously carried on in the Allan family until recent times, and also in the Stewart family of butchers that they married into. My 3 x great-grandfather Richard Stewart (b.1797 in Kelso) had an uncle called Richard Stewart and a great-grandfather called Richard Allan. The earliest Richard Allan that I know of is mentioned by name in the records of Stichill Baron Court (published by the Scottish Record Society) in the 1600s, and he is described as a "flesher" (i.e. butcher).

I'd be interested in any information you can provide about the Allans in more recent times.

Harry

Offline rannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your message.My interesr is to provide an archive about my grandfather-Richard Allan McDougall DOB 1870, who started the law firm of the same name in Edinburgh.He died in 1946.He was a borderer from Jedburghnwhose father was John McDougall-Bailie and Provost of the town.
He married one Margaret Allan in 1867-there were 5 children.
There was also a Richard Marshall Allan,farmer of Howden-DOB 1810-I think their children were James Allan and Margaret who ? may have become Marshall.
If any of this makes sense please let me know!

Edward

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your message.My interesr is to provide an archive about my grandfather-Richard Allan McDougall DOB 1870, who started the law firm of the same name in Edinburgh.He died in 1946.He was a borderer from Jedburghnwhose father was John McDougall-Bailie and Provost of the town.
He married one Margaret Allan in 1867-there were 5 children.
There was also a Richard Marshall Allan,farmer of Howden-DOB 1810-I think their children were James Allan and Margaret who ? may have become Marshall.
If any of this makes sense please let me know!

Edward

Hello Edward. Thanks for all that. I've checked out the information you gave on Scotlandspeople, and I'll tell you what I've found so far.

There is more than one Allan line in your family-tree, because your John McDougall who married Margaret Allan in 1867 was the son of John McDougall and Janet Allan, who after her husband's death married a man called Smellie.

I found the death-certificate of Janet Smellie, formerly McDougall, maiden name Allan. She died in 1893, and her parents are given as William Allan, schoolteacher, and Margaret Fleming. I haven't pursued this line any further, and I don't know if there is a Kelso connection or not.

However, the other Allan line does definitely have a Kelso connection. The Margaret Allan who married John McDougall (junior) in 1867 was the daughter of Richard Marshall Allan and Isabella Storry. Richard Marshall Allan survived through to 1887, and his death-certificate gives his parents as James Allan, butcher, and Margaret Marshall. I haven't managed to find this couple's marriage, and James Allan seems to have died before 1855, but what I have found is the death-certificate of his son James Allan - i.e. the brother of Richard Marshall Allan - in Kelso in 1859. He was a butcher himself, and his father James Allan was a butcher, so I definitely think these people are from the same family as my Allans whom I mentioned previously.

I'm interested to hear of the link with the law firm in Edinburgh, who of course are very well known. I live in Edinburgh myself.

Best wishes,

Harry Watson

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
One small correction to what I've just said - Richard Marshall Allan died in 1882, not 1887.

Harry

Offline rannoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Harry,
More inyeresting news-very welcome and thanks. It confirms some of what I have collected by Alistair McDougall-second Cousin and son of the late Murdoch McD the author.Alistair has taken a great interest in his portion of the family.
I live in London and have been collecting data in a desultory way for some years.I am now trying to press on and have been in Glasgow/Edinburgh in June-want to go to Glasgow again to examine the records of the TGWU Scotland-much legal work done by AMcD &Co.Then there is the Snail in the bottle interest-all good stuff.
I would like to meet you and will be in touch again soon-have you an Allan connection?
Kind regards
Edward McLeish

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 11 07:55 GMT (UK) »
1911 census living at 2 Havanna Court Kelso.

James Allan age 44   butcher
Grace Allan wife age 37
Robert Allan son age 12
Lilias Allan daughter age 10
James son age 5

This may be part of your Allan family who were butchers.
                                                                                         Norma

Offline Lisa Wilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just reading back through this chain of information and to add onto what I have been researching lately on the Macdougall family of Makerston, Caverton, Cessford and Eckford. I think you will find that your:
The Margaret Allan who married John McDougall (junior) in 1867 was the daughter of Richard Marshall Allan and Isabella Storry....

are of the direct Makerston line of decent. I have a tree on Ancestry if you want to have a look (Mcdougall/Mcdowall of Makerston).
Lisa

Offline Croesy01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Lisa - That link would be of GREAT interst to me, but I cannot find it on the site you mention: can you give more pointers re what I would need to look for on Ancestry??

Thanks!