Author Topic: Tierney (Galway) married english girl in England in late 1800's  (Read 7266 times)

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tierney (Galway) married english girl in England in late 1800's
« on: Monday 02 August 10 00:00 BST (UK) »
My grand-uncle, Martin Tierney went to England in his early teens (his brothers Thomas and Michael did likewise - not sure if all 3 travelled together etc).  I can only guess that they went to England sometime between the early 1860s and late 1870's.  They came from Co Galway - Belmont (Addergoole parish as it was known then - the modern parish of Milltown)

The information I'm searching for relates to Martin in particular.  He married an english girl called Mary ?? and they went to the USA.  Again, my guess is that the marriage took place sometime in the 1860s to late 1870's period. 

His two brothers also went to the USA.  The information I have suggests that the 3 brothers stayed in England for at most 4 or 5 years.

Martin Tierney and his wife Mary had two children (Martin Joseph and James Thomas) but I have no idea if either of them were born in England or in the USA.

I have no other Tierney relations that spent any time in England so therefore I have no experience searching UK records that might reveal something fairly specific. 

Given that Ireland was part of the UK at that time, I realise that I wont be able to find when/how they arrived in England, but I'd love to know when Martin and Mary got married, and getting her surname alone would be super.  I'm based in Ireland, so anyone (especially in the UK) who might be able to offer me some advice re same would not be forgotten....perhaps I could return the favour.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tierney (Galway) married english girl in England in late 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately there are 3 Martin Tierney marriages during that period on freebmd but I have ruled one out

1862 Liverpool - ruled out as he married Kate Hanly

1877 Prescot Liverpool to Mary A McEgan - Registrar attended so marriage cannot be looked up at the RO

Then 1876 Sheffield to either Mary Campbell or Hannah Daley

The first Martin Joseph Tierney birth listed on freebmd was 1902 but there are no listings for a James Thomas
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW.....for such a rapid response.  Given that there are so few marriages of a Martin Tierney in England during that period, it will be well worthwhile following up those marriages.  Any idea what proportion of marriages in England are listed on FREEBMD?. 

I'll see if I can get any more info from some USA based Tierneys that compiled a family tree back in the 1980's. 
Martin and his wife settled in St Louis, Missouri, and while I've searched familysearch.org and pilotfamilysearch.org, I haven’t managed to track down any records that definitely relate to him.

However, I have found a record on familysearch.org/pilotfamilysearch.org for the marriage of a son of Martin Tierney and Mary ???.  Their son, James T. Tierney married Edith Skirving 18 Jul 1901 (and Edith is listed on the family tree that I have).  On that marriage record James T. Tierney’s year of birth is 1878, so that suggests that your discovery of Mary A McEgan and Mary Campbell are both well worth pursuing.  The marriage record also indicates that James Thomas was born in England.

I then did more searches on familysearch.org/pilotfamilysearch.org using the possible combination of Martin Tierney and Mary Campbell and found 2 children for this couple.  While Jacobus (James??) may have been born in 1878, I wonder if his baptism would have been delayed until 1879 (as per record below).  I understand that baptisms in Ireland often took place a good while after birth ......was there a similar pattern in England?

Name: Jacobus Tierney
Baptism/Christening Date: 13 Mar 1879
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Charles Borromeo, Sheffield, York, England
Father's Name: Martini Tierney
Mother's Name: Mariae Campbell Tierney

The family tree I possess doesn’t mention the Honora Tierney born in 1876, listed below (and she would probably scupper the 1877 marriage!), but another aspect is that Martin Tierneys mother was Honora (Nora), so that adds a bit more credibility to the Mary Campbell case.   Perhaps the Honora listed below died while very young, and therefore may have been forgotten when the family tree was compiled?

Name: Honora Tiernay
Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Nov 1876
Baptism/Christening Place: Sheffield, York, England
Father's Name: Martini Tiernay
Mother's Name: Mariae Campbell Tiernay

Maybe someone out there can rule out Mary Campbell from my searches….. any help re confirming or contradicting any of the above would be much appreciated.

Thanking you,
Ballyheeragh

Offline Mark McEgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I have been studying my family history. I am ancestor of Mary Ann McEgan. She married Martin Tierney on 28th January 1877 at Prescot, Lancashire, UK. Martin is listed as 21 years. Hi father was Michael Tierney and was a Labourer.

Mary's grandad was called James and her father was Thomas. It was common to name children after the older in generation in Ireland.

I cannot find them on the 1881 Census in the UK at all. Then two children appear called Elezabeth and Mary Ann in the 1891 Census without parents. They are staying with Mary's dad Thomas Patrick.

It states they were born in America.

Can you confirm this is same family? I have always hit a brick wall when it cam to Mary and Martin.

Mark

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Can you give details on the 1891 you've found them on - I can't find them anywhere and appreciate names could have been mistranscribed.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Forget that - have now found them listed as Tiernan.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 September 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not replying to sooner to your posts.

The parents of the Martin Tierney that I mention above were Patrick Tierney and Nora (Honoria) Hession - born in Belmont, Milltown, Co Galway.  Baptismal records for Addergoole & Liskeevy parish (Milltown) start in 1858 and he doesnt appear - but some his younger brothers and sisters do - therefore its reasonable to speculate that Martin (and a couple of other brothers and sisters) were born sometime between the late 1840's and 1857/58. 

A family tree indicates that he married an english lady called Mary.  They definitely went to the USA - St Louis, Missouri, but I cant find any info on familysearch that identifies them for definite in census records etc.

Its possible that Tierney might be recorded as TIERNAN or Tirney, Tiernay etc so that doesnt completely rule out what is mentioned in any of the posts you've both made. 

Thank you both for your help.  We'll keep trying!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi ballyheeragh

You state that Martin and Mary definitely went to St. Louis, Missouri - how do you know this?

You mention the marriage of 'their son' - James Thomas who married Edith Skirving 18/7/1901 in Kansas.    I can only find James and Edith on the 1920 Census in Moskogee, Oklahoma - he 39 born england, she 36, son Granville 17 born Kansas and mother in law Jessie Skirving 75.   However, James states his father was born in Ohio, and his mother in Pennsylvania so certainly doesn't sound like the son of your Martin and Mary!

Also, you mention Martin and Mary had 2 sons - James Thomas and Martin Joseph.   What are the sources for this?   

I've trailed his 2 brothers okay but Martin is a mystery.   The only Martin/Mary in 1900 census in St. Louis, Missouri are both aged 40 but apparently only married in 1888 and had 3 children - James 7, Mary 4, and Veronica 2.   Yet you seem so certain that your Martin and Mary went to this place.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline Mark McEgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
If you have access to USA records, is it possible to see if Mary Ann McEgan/Tierney appears at all? I have no idea what happened to them?
Mark