Author Topic: Tierney (Galway) married english girl in England in late 1800's  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tierney (Galway) married english girl in England in late 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 September 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I have access to US census and some other records but as with my other reply relating to the other Martin and Mary there is just nothing that fits.    No trace of either couple in 1880 Census nor in 1900 Census.    Unfortunately there is no 1890 Census as it was destroyed in a fire I believe.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent BMD index as each state has their own records few of which are online.

Sorry I can't help.   It really is most frustrating.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 September 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette7/Mark

It will take me a couple of days to reply comprehensively to some of the issues/questions that you've both highlighted  in your recent posts.   Thanks very much for your help.....and your persistence  I have some data  from US Census records relating to the Tierneys (from familysearch.org) + a lot of help I received from another rootschat user.

The "big" question posed relates to why I think Martin Tierney and his wife settled in the St Louis, Missouri area - I have a family tree compiled about 27 years ago that lists all of Martin Tierneys brothers and sisters, and for the other 3 that settled in the USA, everthing documented on the tree is consistent with any records I've found for the other members of the family(Newport, Kentucky and Cincinnatti, Ohio), so therefore I'm assuming that the Missouri info is accurate. 

I have made contact with some of the descendants of the other Tierneys, but this has only happened in recent days, so we haven't discussed the Martin Tierney of Missouri story yet, and I'm not sure if they know anything about him either.  I've emailed the main US based contributor to the tree, but I havent heard from him yet.

Even though I'm logged in, I cant see the PM feature, otherwise I'd send you my email address so that I could share some of my existing data with you - as well as the work that another user has put in,  to lead me towards the descendants of Martin and Mary.....to be fair I need get my act together and try to make contact with surviving Tierneys.......just v busy for the next few days.  Can either of you PM me your email address, and when I get a chance (possibly next weekend), I'll share whats already been found.

Thanks again for your support.

Offline dr. ian mcegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
mark, I came across your post by accident and the names mentioned are familiar to me as I was brought up in prescot. thomas patrick, mary, elizabeth are all names of aunts and uncles of mine but I assume could be siblings of the names you mention. you can email me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mark McEgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian
I cannot get your email - can you send it to me on the personal messaging service?
Mark

Offline dr. ian mcegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
hello mark, sorry you couldn't access my message, im originally from prescot  and the names you mention are very familiar to me as uncles and aunts although I assume that my uncles and aunts would have been named after the people you mention, james, thomas patrick elizabeth. my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mikelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 October 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
My grand-uncle, Martin Tierney went to England in his early teens (his brothers Thomas and Michael did likewise - not sure if all 3 travelled together etc).  I can only guess that they went to England sometime between the early 1860s and late 1870's.  They came from Co Galway - Belmont (Addergoole parish as it was known then - the modern parish of Milltown)

The information I'm searching for relates to Martin in particular.  He married an english girl called Mary ?? and they went to the USA.  Again, my guess is that the marriage took place sometime in the 1860s to late 1870's period. 

His two brothers also went to the USA.  The information I have suggests that the 3 brothers stayed in England for at most 4 or 5 years.

Martin Tierney and his wife Mary had two children (Martin Joseph and James Thomas) but I have no idea if either of them were born in England or in the USA.

I have no other Tierney relations that spent any time in England so therefore I have no experience searching UK records that might reveal something fairly specific. 

Given that Ireland was part of the UK at that time, I realise that I wont be able to find when/how they arrived in England, but I'd love to know when Martin and Mary got married, and getting her surname alone would be super.  I'm based in Ireland, so anyone (especially in the UK) who might be able to offer me some advice re same would not be forgotten....perhaps I could return the favour.

Hello, my grandmother was Honora Tierney Wald from Florida. I have a family tree that my great great aunt had an attorney put together over 20 years ago. I think you might be interested as there is a photo of the three brothers at the top of the document.

Offline Mikelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 October 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, my grandmother was Honora Tierney Wald from Florida. I have a family tree that my great great aunt had an attorney put together over 20 years ago. I think you might be interested as there is a photo of the three brothers at the top of the document.

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 October 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mikelly,

Fair play to you for spotting my query....I've had the same family tree for the past 25 years, but I never really studied it, or tried to fill in the gaps until about 5 months ago.  Its a great piece of work .... and it must have been difficult to do all the research in pre-email and internet times.

As you can see, it has some "gaps" esp on the Mary Tierney/John Joyce line (about which I've been lucky to receive help from other rootschat members) and you'll be glad to know that there are plenty of survivors on that branch - that werent captured when the tree was compiled.

Unfortunately, we will find it very difficult to go back any further and document earlier generations, so I've devoted my time in recent months to try and find more info re the "movements" of the Tierneys  - when they went to England, and when they went to the USA etc.  I've been able to get some info from US census records on-line but the one big puzzle that I'd love to solve is the name of the lady (+her place of birth in England, when/where she got married etc) that married Martin Tierney.

We don't know much about their wives in particular (Martin, Michael, Thomas), whether they married in the USA or in Ireland, or in Martins case - England.

I emailed the gentleman who helped compile the tree in mid August, but I havent heard from him...perhaps his (business) email address is out of date.

I have been able to get a good bit of info on the web about the Cincinnati, and the Newport (Kentucky) Tierneys, but very little about Martin (or his wife) who went to St Louis, Missouri.

If you have a chance, send me a PM with an email address etc, and we'll link up soon.  Hopefully, we can share info about the family, and maybe build on the work done in 1983.

You can find me on the tree under the Ballyheragh section on the left hand side.  My parents are PT and PF, and I'm the first of the 3 children listed.

Looking forward to hearning from you!

Offline Anwald88

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all! Been recently looking up my family's history. My Grandfather was Lawrence Michael Wald, who was born in Campbell, ky to Louis wald and Honora Tierney Wald. My grandfather never talked much and my dad doesn't know much either of my great grandmothers family history. I only know bits and pieces of my wald side. Just trying to see if any of yall have similar names or just my great grandmother. Thanks :)