Author Topic: Bridgwater Assizes  (Read 3271 times)

Offline brooklynodog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgwater Assizes
« on: Monday 02 August 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, does any kind person know of a way that I can discover what crime someone was transported for? I know the ship, the destination, name etc, but cannot find what the poor boy did back in 1852. He was unlucky as I believe transportation stopped in `53.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgwater Assizes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

The last convicts transported to Australia went in 1868. Transportation to New South Wales ceased in 1850 and to Tasmania in 1853 but transportation to Western Australia didn't start until 1850.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convicts_in_Australia

Somerset Record Office will hold the records to the quarter sessions but The National Archives will hold the records to the Assize court since those courts were held before Crown appointed judges - so national government records.

Somerset Record Office will hold calendars of prisoners.

The National Archives research guide

Tracing 19th and 20th Century Criminals

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=120

What was the convict's name?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brooklynodog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Matthew Venn of Cutcombe, Somerset. Birth about 1826, death in Tasmania about 1869. Transported to VDL (tasmania) in 1852

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Matthew Venn aged 19
Date of trial 4th August 1847 Bath City sessions Somerset
cannot read or write
Burgulary
11 others convicted of the same offence (though didn't necessarily all commit a crime together just that this was the most common crime), three transported, the other two sentenced for 7 years, Matthew was sentenced for 10 years. Others received sentences of 8 months to a year in prison.

1851 census HO107 1660 folio 512
Defense Invalid Convict Depot Alverstoke Hampshire
Matthew Venn 19 Convict Farm Labourer Cutcombe, Somerset

His age is at variance with the age given at the trial but the 1841 census supports the trial age as being correct

1841 census HO107 936/3 folio 11
Coombe Farm Cutcombe Somerset
Mary Ven 45
Matthew Ven 14
Silas Ven 12
Sarah Ven 7
all born Somerset
Adult ages, those over 15, usually rounded down to the nearest 5

All prisoners given sentences of transportation or a period of penal servitude (once transportation increasingly became a less viable option) - two years or more hard labour, were called convicts -they were government prisoners held in government establishements - prisons/hulks/depots. All other gaoled offenders were prisoners not convicts and were placed in local prisons to serve out their much shorter sentences.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brooklynodog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda, thought it would be something simple like burglary. Thats the correct family, Sarah Venn 7 was my wifes GT GT Grandmother on her fathers line. Just interested what he did. 2 of his step brothers from William Venn`s (Dad not showing in 41 census, must have been away at market or some such) first wife were also transported to VDL

Offline Andrew Thompson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Venn of Cutcombe, Somerset. Birth about 1826, death in Tasmania about 1869. Transported to VDL (tasmania) in 1852
hi my name is Andrew Thompson.I am a descendent of Matthew Venn.He had a son Matthew Silas Venn,who is my great grandfather.I live in Launceston Tasmania