Author Topic: Thomas Theophilus UPRIGHT aka 'Henri De MELVIN'  (Read 3903 times)

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Theophilus UPRIGHT aka 'Henri De MELVIN'
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 07:59 BST (UK) »
Would love to hear from anyone and exchange information on Thomas Theophilus Upright, aka Henri De Melvin, a music hall artiste, popular during the mid-late 1800's as a double vocalist/female impersonator.
Yorkshire - England, Holmes, Brumfitt, Walker, Staves,
Sussex - Hicks, Perren, Veness, Dicker
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Theophilus UPRIGHT aka 'Henri De MELVIN'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Any idea when / where he was born?
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I have all that, 1844 Branscombe, Devon, I just wondered if anyone else had heard of him.  He married my 3xgt grandmother in 1873 in Hull, they had a child born 1875, then he scarpered as far as I know.  He was a successful music hall artiste, being a double vocalist, he was extremely good at female impersonation.  I am just waiting for a book about the music hall 1850 to the current day to arrive, it has a picture of him in it which I will post once I get it.  He died in September 1911 and I think he was in the Salford union workhouse when the census was taken in 1911.  Thanks for your interest, I will post more info as and when I receive it.  Wendy  :)
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
There are 18 hits in The Era, a paper with an emphasis on theatres and entertainments for Henri de Melvin between 1870 and 1878.  If you have access to Gale Newspaper Archive through your county library service, you can follow him round the country.  Nothing under his real name in The Era as far as I can see.

There are also 21 similar hits in all the other newspapers, esp Freemans Journal around christmas 1872/ New Year 1873 in Dublin.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
I just paid for a week's pass to bl.uk and searched the British Newspapers 1800-1900 I found quite a few mentions around the music halls, the Era and the Freemans Journal was there so I've downloaded those articles/advertisements where he was mentioned.  It's interesting stuff!  can't wait for the book to arrive that has a picture of him in it. Thanks for your help! Wendy  :-*
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 August 10 22:19 BST (UK) »
A pleasure - sorry I had to whiz off to watch Victorian Pharmacy  :D

Did you notice there was a gap in the dates from 1873, presumably when he married to 1878, when maybe he did a runner?  I wonder if he changed his name to avoid his wife catching up with him  :-\

The photo will be fascinating to see and perhaps there will be an indication of what he did after 1878 - lucky you!

Added;  Try also Henry Melvin
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline GrandadsSixpence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 August 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, he married in 1873.  My 3xgt grandmother Hannah Staves was the widow of Edward Staves a boot and shoe manufacturer, I think they were quite well off however some problems were afoot because Edward drank himself to death aged 39. 

The family must have made Thomas's/Henri's acquaintance when he was appearing in Hull in early 1873.  Another lady connected with the Staves family said that the rumours were that Thomas/Henri either ran off with the family fortunes or squandered it, hence his disappearance after 1878.  This slide into poverty entailed my 2xgt grandmother, Lucy Staves, having to go into 'service'. 

I can't find him on 1871/81 or 91 censuses but he does appear in Salford in 1901 and 1911.  In 1901 he has another 'wife' Annie whether legally or not I don't know, by the 1911 census he is in the workhouse in Salford and he died in September 1911 in Salford Infirmary from 'General paralysis of the insane' which I believe is another term for the tertiary stage of syphillis.  His body was claimed by a James Johnson who arranged for the burial.  It's a good story maybe worthy of a write up one day when I have more info. 

I will post the picture of him when I receive the book.

Wendy
Hampshire - Hicks, Bacon
Cornwall - Hicks

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 August 10 08:12 BST (UK) »
I am also looking forward to seeing what he looks like ;)
I am linking your other post for people following this;
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,472384.msg3323233.html#msg3323233

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bodhisatva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 12 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all you Uprights out there. just signed on to this website and wanted to make contact to try and get any info you have on Henri and any other Uprights.
The surname UPRIGHT