Author Topic: 1860 census look up please  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 census look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
The family that is listed above the Williamsons on the 1855 immigration record (Cameron family) was also living in Brokenstraw in 1860.  (They are shown as Camson in 1860.)

I wonder if there is a chance she may have married a Cameron son?  (Another family story, but, in 1870 I have one family who met another family on the ship to Canada; three of my ancestor's sisters married three of the brothers that they met on the voyage.)  Just a thought.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
The ealiest death could have been after the censuses in 1860 and before the census in 1871.  In 1860 there is an Alexander Williamson c 1857 but no sign of him in 1870.  We have not found his death either.

We are just assuming that Elspet married someone Taylor.  The reason being there is an Elspet Taylor mentioned on her grandparents grave stone back in Scotland.  She organised the stone and it mentions she lives in Pennsylvania.

There is a lot of assumption here in that we think she is the Elspet who sailed in 1855 and that she married a Taylor.  We could find that she comes from another side of the family and is in fact a Taylor.

I suppose Elspet Williamson could have died before the next census and the Elspet Taylor is a different person.

Thanks for your help

Betty

I hope you follow this as I am starting to loose the plot!!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty:

I haven't lost the plot yet.  ;)

Unfortunately, I just don't see Elspet.  Perhaps someone else may find something.  Or, if I return in a couple of days and get a fresh start, something may turn up.

Given his age, it may be difficult to find Alexander.  :(
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying to find Elspet.

I appreciate your efforts.

All the best

Betty