Author Topic: 1860 census look up please  (Read 4273 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1860 census look up please
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have an Elspet Williamson who emigrated in 1855 from Scotland.

Her family are recorded in the 1860 census in Pennsylvania but no sign of Elspet.

Could someone please have a look for her.

She was born in 1842 in Morayshire Scotland

Through marriage she may have become Elspet Taylor, but I would have though perhaps after 1860.

There is no mention of Elspet in her father's obituary in 1897.  I assume having died by then.

Any help with finding Elspet after 1855 would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Betty, if I have the correct family:
1860 - Brokenstraw, Warren, PA
1870 - ?
1880 - Colony, Adams, Iowa

Do you know where they were living in 1870, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Could this be the family (minus Elspet) in 1870?
North East Township, Erie, PA
Jos (possibly James) Williams (possibly Williamson), age 49
Margrett, 51
John, 18
Charles, 15
Maggie, 24
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it.

I was just about to give you the information.

You have the correct people.

Thanks for your time

Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Betty.  I'm looking around for Elspet now.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
You most likely already have photos, but in the event you don't, here are photos of at least two Williamson's headstones:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ds/

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the site but I already have the photos.

I had the names for a while and the cemetery but it is only in the last few weeks that I got the site with the photos.  I think all the Williamsons listed are connected to our Williamsons.

I have quite a lot on this family but we are stuck as to what happened to Elspet.

Thanks for your help

Betty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
I don't see a death for Els* (born 1842) on the Iowa cemetery records; but there's a chance they are not complete.

There is an Elspet Fowlie, but she was born in 1841; no mention of her country of birth.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
Do you know where the earliest death for this family, in the states, was recorded?  Were there any deaths in Pennsylvania?

There is the possibility that she passed away prior to the 1860 census, and they could have been living anywhere.  :-\

You mentioned Taylor; is that to whom she reportedly married?