Author Topic: Thomas O'Hare - Armagh  (Read 2968 times)

Offline irishis54

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas O'Hare - Armagh
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on my great grandfather Thomas O'Hare.  He was born in Armagh in 1853.  At some point he moved to Dublin and was a baker.  In Dublin he met and married my great grandmother Elizabeth Mahan and they had 10 children. 

Thanks
Colette Chadwick

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O'Hare - Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
Colette,
            Welcome to Rootschat. I have looked at what seems like the family on Form A of the 1901 census and the townland in Co. Armagh looks like BALLYMACAWLEY or a variation of the spelling. By looking at this townland in the Griffiths Valuation, 1864, I noticed that there were several O'Hare families who may be connected.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Welcome to Rootschat
There seems to be a suitable family on the 1911 Dublin census, free on www.census.nationalarchives.ie  though you may have this already.
Best wishes
 Cathy  :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Shaela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread, just wondering if you had any luck on getting information about Thomas? I'm a descendant of his. ( hes my Great-great grandfather) His daughter Margaret was my great grand mother

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm a descendant of his. ( hes my Great-great grandfather) His daughter Margaret was my great grand mother

Is this your gt grandmother in the 1901 census?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Rotunda/Sherrard_Avenue/1331882/

....and in the 1911 census?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rotunda/Sherrard_Avenue/52210/

Here's the marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth (1886). She was a minor and looks like she was only 17 when she married.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10843/5958804.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Shaela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglasan thank you very much. That's them. I've only managed to get the 1911 census and a baptismal for one of Thomas and Elizabeth's children.  The family tree that my own grandfather made for us many years ago had her name down as Theresa mc Mahon so she may have been known informally by that name. The surname either gained or lost the "mc" somewhere along the way. I've found nothing at all on Thomas which I'd really like to but have hit a block! 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:10 BST (UK) »

Here's the death record of your gt gt gt grandmother, Celia Mahon in 1912.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05352/4491104.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Shaela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 20 20:59 BST (UK) »

Here's the death record of your gt gt gt grandmother, Celia Mahon in 1912.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05352/4491104.pdf

Oh thank you. I hadn't got that far yet. I've kind of been going from one family member to the other as i come across them and finding different things , so Celias turn hadn't come yet :-)

Thank you  again

KG