Author Topic: WOODRUFF/HAWKINS family  (Read 11468 times)

Offline 1Maggie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOODRUFF/HAWKINS family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that advice - however, I have found a lot of errors in the past using the particular sources you mention. 
Woodroffe (all spellings), Tadd, Redstone, Smale, Mattock, Ungley and more

Offline karno49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 October 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,  I have been researching this family for about 13 years and Im willing to share what I have with any of you.
I have photos of Annie Matilda and a few other Hawkins, in particular Annies children.  Of course, if anyone has info that I could use and we could swop, that would be good.  Annie and Charles were my Gt grandparents, my mother being the only daughter of their son, Charles de Lacy.
Regards Jan Karnovski (nee Munson)
hawkins, munson, mackender, addison.  mildenhall suffolk, middlesbrough yorkshire, glamorgan Wales, London.

Offline karno49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
Charles Thomas Hawkins and Jane Woodroffe were my Gt Gt Grandparents.  Their son Charles Lacy being my Gt Grandfather.  I have researched them for a number of years and have quite a lot of info. if you want  to exchange.
Jan Karnovski (nee Munson)

hawkins, munson, mackender, addison.  mildenhall suffolk, middlesbrough yorkshire, glamorgan Wales, London.

Offline karno49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 April 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
No one seems to be interested in Thomas Charles any more!!!  Maybe I can gee everyone up again.  About 7/8 years ago I went to the National Archives to look for Thomas Charles attestation papers.  I found a Charles Hawkins in the Royal Horse Guards but not a Thomas and one of the last entries was "gave himself up to the 36th foot".  I, then made enquiries at the Royal Horse Guards and received a letter saying they couldn't find anything.  So my cousin and I went to them armed with all the info we had and, having read everything, the very nice man said we would have to take our search to the 36th foot.  Back to the National Archives and I went at it a different way and looked for his children, Charles Lacy and Frank Leatham and found them both but calling themselves Hobbs alias Hawkins. (These records can be found on Ancestry)  I then looked for him under the name Hobbs and found a Charles.  The dates seemed to tally so we assume this is our man.  Unfortunately, there is not very much information to be had but we did ascertain that he went to India.  I then logged onto fibis and found him calling himself Hawkins again.  I also found that he had married a Clara Chamley in 1871, having divorced Jane, and in 1873 a girl was born called Ellen Chamley Hawkins.  Thomas's first wife also re-married, John T Carter in 1869.  She returned to England and probably with Louisa because they can be found in the 1901 census living in Croydon.  I can't find out anything more about them after this and would love any info out there.  Jane is the one who was a servant at Military Row, Windsor not Louisa.  So folks.  I'm not sure whether you should be calling yourselves Hobbs or Hawkins because if we found the right man in the 36th foot then it's Hobbs but if that's wrong, it's back to the drawing board.  I am going to the British Library as soon as the weather permits, only 20 minutes now from here on the new link, and if I find anything I will post it on here so WATCH THIS SPACE!!!