Author Topic: Lookup request for Mary Collingridge Burial 1819 Bloxham  (Read 6488 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request for Mary Collingridge Burial 1819 Bloxham
« on: Friday 06 August 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
Have just found a newspaper entry for the death of Mary Collingridge (she hung herself!!) July 1819 in Bloxham.  Would appreciate it if anyone could do a lookup on the parish register to see if there is any further information other than name - this lady may be my 4th GGM.

Am also looking for death of her husband William - no idea of date but think Bloxham

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for Mary Collingridge Burial 1819 Bloxham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
Ray -
Have just found a newspaper entry for the death of Mary Collingridge (she hung herself!!) July 1819 in Bloxham.  Would appreciate it if anyone could do a lookup on the parish register to see if there is any further information other than name - this lady may be my 4th GGM.

Oxfordshire FHS www.ofhs.org.uk has transcribed the Bloxham registers - they're on CD WIT03.

Courtesy of OFHS, here's a burial for you, though in June - maybe reported in July:

28 Jun 1819
Mary COLINGRIDGE of Bloxham, age 74

Am also looking for death of her husband William - no idea of date but think Bloxham

There's a burial of a William COLLINGRIDGE (no age given) in 19 March 1793.

Wendy
Oxfordshire FHS HelpDesk www.ofhs.org.uk

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Thanks for the very quick response (love this rootschat!!).  Not sure that this is my Mary, I have a marriage and a first child in 1778 (with a possibility for 3 other children!!) so 74 years in 1819 is a bit of a push, but perhaps not impossible?

I will have to get the Bloxham registers to pursue this further - thanks for you interest and your time

Best wishes

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
Ray

Bloxham registers  - Mary buried on 28/6/1819 age 74 yrs.

William Collingridge married Mary Satchell 29/1/1778 both o.t.p
Wit. John Harbord & John Randle. Banns
Chirldren
John 22/3/1778 - d.10/6/1802 age 25
Mary 22/12/1782
Elizabeth 19/8/1787
William 17/10/1790
Found a buriel for a Thomas Collingridge 17/8/1802 but no bapt.

Possibly William snr buriel 19/3/1793.
Couldn't find bapt. for William and Mary in Bloxham back to 1746.

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lottee

Thanks for the info, particularly on the witnessses - both names Harbord & Randle seems to ring little bells for me - need to check that out. Have been talking to other family researchers and there seems to be agreement that this is our Mary.  On the newspaper clipping reporting the suicide by hanging, poor Mary is described as a 'lunatic' and as one researcher said it's good that we have identified the lunatic in the family!!!

We have the children you named but Thomas is  a new name - needs checking.  William 1790 is our line.

Thanks for you interest

Best wishes

Ray

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
A pleasure.
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline farmerbower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just discovered your message about my gt gt gt gt grandmother, Mary Collingridge, nee Satchell who hung herself in 1819.  I have had the death details for ages but was unaware of how she died and the other details - very sad to discover this.    I have been unable to get back any further on Mary Satchell.  You may already know this but Mary and William's son also called William married Sarah nee Ward in Wroxton on 22 September 1812.  They were removed from the Parish of Wroxton on 7 January 1815 along with their daughter, Mary, to nearby Wigginton.  I have a copy of the Removal Order.  William was born in Bloxham 1789 and died from a diseased liver in Wigginton on 11 December 1837.  His wife remarried a Samuel Cleaver on 20 March 1848 and died in Wigginton on 22 April 1869 of paralysis.  My direct line after this is John William Collingridge born 1829 Wigginton and his second wife, Eliza Bishop.  After this it is their son Walter born Warwick 1868 and died in Canada.  He married a Caroline Florence Smith in St Marys Warwick on 11 April 1898.  They had numerous children, one of whom was my grandmother, Christiana Lillian Collingridge.  I would be interested to know if you are descended from Walter and Caroline Smith's line in particular as I have discovered very recently some extremely interesting information on Caroline's grandfather, Robert Farmer Bower.
Regards, Helen

Regar

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Good to hear from you.  My line came from Mary Collingridge 1813 Wroxton.  She married a William Wheeler and they had 5 children.  Eliza Wheeler born 1836 Swerford Oxford, married William Denham in 1861 and thats where my line came from.

A 2nd cousin of mine Len Denham- who I met a few years back - has a great Denham website and he would also be very pleased to hear from you.  I don't, and as far as I am aware, Len also dos'nt have anything on your line.

I seem to be having trouble posting links so I will PM you with  the links.

Regards

Ray

Offline farmerbower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hello

That was a quick response. I notice Len Denham has a query about a Solomon Waite.  A few years back I was contacted by a great granddaughter  of Solomon Waite.  Solomon was one of Martha Collingridge's sons.  Martha married John Waite on 11 November 1841 in Wigginton.  There was Edwin born 16 July 1842, Annie born 10 March 1845, Solomon 27 October 1847 and William 28 January 1850 all in South Newington.  Solomon emigrated to the United States in 1871.  His mother eventually left England sometime after the 1881 census in which she features, his father having died in 1878 in England.  Martha died 12 February 1884 at Solomon's home.  In May of that year Solomon moved his family to Arizona where he settled and became a stone and brick mason.  Many descendants still live in Arizona today.   

Hope the information is of help although you may already be aware.

All the best

Helen