Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104469 times)

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Atlantic Stephenson
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
My gggg grandfather went to India and I have just completed transcribing his journal.
 He had one child born mid Atlantic called JOHN ATLANTIC STEPHENSON who I can trace in the Census reports giving the exact lattitudes as in Journal! Another daughter CATHERINE MARY LAYTON STEPHENSON  (my ggg grandmother)was born in India in 1836 or 1839 but I can find no records on any website so help here would be  greatly appreciated. Two other children were born out there, HENRY LAYTON and INDIANA .
 I can find no record of JOHN STEPHENSON senior in Newcastle  (who worked in the chemical trade ) after he returned in 1841.( All I know is he died before 1860 as he is listed as deceased on Catherine's marriage certificate.)
 Going back to his son John Atlantic he was evidently a  writer of folk songs but would love to know more about this, and also his work as a public speaker within something known as the Bewick club. So many questions, I am sorry but I am bitten by the bug!
 Have had a very interesting time with the original journal handed down in our family of this voyage to India on a Brig called the Argo. Has anyone else had any information on sailing ships of the 1820?

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Born at sea 1829, lived Newcastle on Tyne, Song writer? Any information on him, his father John Stephenson, Mother Elizabeth or any of his brothers or sisters: Henry, Catherine Mary, Julianna, Leonard, Albert or Alfred. Has been mentioned a distant relation to 'George Stephenson' clan but need more information to join the dots!

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie - was going to look on hte FIBIS site (families in British india) but site is closed for maintanence!.

also Googled the Bewick club - is this it?

http://www.tbrj.co.uk/bclub.htm

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
did you try googling John Atlantic?

John Atlantic Stephenson
Born Mid Atlantic on Waterloo day 1829. Father was in the Chemical trade on the Tyne and on his way to India to work for the East India Company when his child was born. His mother was a daughter of Dr. Brummell.
Blind willy sung of him- "Dr. Brummel upon the Sandhill, He gov Sir Maffa a pill."
In Newcastle Props a song by Oliver Blind Willy is referenced :
"O weel aw like te hear him sing
'Bout young Sir Matt andDr. Brummell.
The family returned from India after 12 years. John started at Sowerbvy's Glass Works, Gateshead. Later he became representative of John Rogerson and Co. He was a member of the Bewick Club holding office of Hon. treasurer. He contributed as an amateur to the annual exhibition.  He is known for water colors of rural scenes.He is also known as a public speaker performing for his club. Stephenson specialized in dialect.

source:

http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/sang/bards.html#John Atlantic

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 August 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
deleted,,just noticed u had the info about henry,,, :-[
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Information on Bewick Club very helpful, thank you. Already found the entry re J A Stephenson when googling his father's name! He was mentioned in the journal I am transcribing as being born mid Atlantic hence his name.. I really need information on his father now to make connections. Thank you for your help.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 August 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

1841 census HO107 1261/11 folio 5
Peak Hill Stainton Dale Yorkshire
Jno Stephenson 46 Agent peak alum works
Elizth Stephenson 34
Jno Stephenson 11
Henry Stephenson 9
Indiana Stephenson 7
Mary Stephenson 5
Lenna Stephenson 3
Albert Stephenson 6 Months
all born in county - the yes on the 1841 census born in county can very unreliable

1851 census HO107 2402 folio 18
Elizabeth ?  Gateshead Durham
Elizabeth Stephenson 45 Head Widow Gateshead Durham
John Stephenson 21 Son Glass Cutter Atlantic Ocean
Henry Stephenson 19 Son Glass Cutter Hindustan
Julianna Stepherson 17 Daughter Hindustan East Indies
Leonard Stepherson 13 Son Sunderland
Albert Stephenson 10 Son Peak Yorkshire
Alfred Stephenson 7 Son Heworth Durham

1861 census RG9 3813 folio  78
118 Elswick East Terrace Elswick
Elizabeth G Stephenson 54 Head Widow Householder Newcastle on Tyne
Leonard Stephenson 23 Son Printer Compositor Sunderland Durham
Albert P Stephenson 20 Son Carver and Gilder Peak Yorkshire
Alfred S Stephenson 18 Son Blacksmith Heworth Shore, Durham

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 August 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Henry Layton STEPHENSON
Birth Date: 11 January 1832
Ghazeepore
John and Elizabeth
Born in Singhee

LEONARD QUINTIES STEPHENSON
Birth:  16 MAR 1838   Bishopwearmouth, Durham
Father:  JOHN STEPHENSON
Mother:  ELIZ.   

Births Mar 1838 
Stephenson  Leonard Quintus    Sunderland  24 201

Births Dec 1840   
Stephenson  Albert Peak    Scarbro  24 475

Births Dec 1843
STEPHENSON  Alfred Septimus     Gateshead  24 15[35]

ELIZABETH GORDON BRUMMELL OR GORDON
Birth:  22 SEP 1804   
Christening:  13 OCT 1805   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland,
Father:  WILLIAM BRUMMELL 
Mother:  ELIZABETH GORDON 

Deaths Mar 1878   
Stephenson  Elizabeth Gordon  72  Gateshead  10a 457

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Re notes and research by Valda.... many many thanks, you have found out so much that I wanted to know! I was going round in circles - how did you find these entries? Perhaps I had restricted my search to Newcastle and therefore not found the entries!
It is interesting that Julianna is sometimes Indiana. I think it was transcribed wrongly at some stage. The information on middle names too is very interesting. In the song it states that his mother was a daughter of Dr Brummell.. this is presumably William Brummell you found. Do you know where I could find records of doctors of that time? What on earth the song means is another question!
I am nearing completion of the journal of John Stephenson's voyage to India where he was bonded to 'erect machinery' One last question - how do you think I could pursue this as unfortunately I have not found anything on the FIBIS website relating to his work out there apart from the original bond put up by his employers and a bookseller. I can give you the names if it helps?. Once again, thank you!