Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104719 times)

Offline mandywh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #324 on: Saturday 24 July 21 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am encroaching here as I'm not related to any of the families but I have an interest in Capt William Brumwell 1813-1854.
I found the details of his death and image of the headstone many years ago and was wondering if anyone had ever acquired a copy of his death record and knew his cause of death?
I have read the account of the Voyage of the Ann Dashwood, the ship which he commanded in 1853, sailing from England to Australia via Cape Town and it shows him as a drunk, acting in what could be called an  insane manner at times. I thought when I first read the account that perhaps he was mentally ill or affected by a disease such as syphilis? I am intrigued to know his cause of death and if that sheds any light on his behaviour.
If you haven't read the account, here it is. Would make a great movie. https://www.dashstory.com/EdwardJournal.pdf

My interest is due to the fact that my great great grandmother and 7 children, the eldest being my great grandfather, were on board the Ann Dashwood. They are referred to a few times in the diary being the woman and seven children who boarded the ship in Cape Town. The Captain only allowed her 1 berth for all of them (told her to sit up at night) and rations for 2 1/2 people, increased to 3 1/2 after Edward Dash remonstrated with the captain.

Mandy (I'm in South Australia)