Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104711 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda, sorry but the fiche I have here at home for St. Nicholas parish baptisms only extends from 1791-1812.  :'(   Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 05:58 BST (UK) »
I just came across this topic by chance today and so glad I did. I am in New Zealand. My wife is related to Henry Layton Stephenson (who is John's brother), through Henry's 2nd Marriage to Annie Sheehan. 1st Marriage was to Isabella Parks. (Amended actually is Park)

Henry was born 11-1-1832 in Singhee Bengal India. His father John was at that time Superintendant of the HEIC Saltpetre Factory in Tirhoot Behar, having left the UK in 1829 being the year John Atlantic Brumwell Stephenson was born during the voyage. Henry and John were baptised 1-4-1833 and as previously mentioned in previous posts John was recorded as John Bromswell Stephenson.

Whilst in Bengal John Snr wrote a number of Articles for the Journal of the Asiatic Society Bengal, (See Vol's 1 to 5 1832-1836 available online throgh Google Books Search) a Treatise on the Manufacture of Saltpetre and a number of Journals. I also believe he was responsible during one of his journeys in Tirhoot for finding a relic which was to prove of great significance to Buddhism. This was donated by him to the Asiatic Society.

Having read these Articles it is clear that John Snr was a very well educated and intelligent man. He is also stated to have been a well known Chemist involved in the Tyne Chemical Industry for a good number of years before going to India.

From what I can ascertain the Family returned around about 1838, this being when all the other children born in India and Leonard who was born in England in 1838 were baptised at Bishopwearmouth. In 1841 they were living at the Peak Alum Works where John Snr was the 'Agent' (my wife and I visited there July last year on our first big OE and it is a very lovely location),although the 1841 Scalby Census has all the family being born in Yorkshire we know this is incorrect (at least for Elizabeth and the Children exclulding Albert).

Alfred Septimus Stephenson was born in Heworth in 1843 a year before John Snr died. John died December 1844 at Heworth Shore (occupation stated as Chemist) interestingly burial records St Mary's Heworth were under spelling of Stevenson.
Elizabeth died 1878 at 19 Ravensworth terrace Gateshead (part of this building is now located at the Beamish Historical Centre and again we visited this last year also).She is stated as having been buried at St Mary's Gateshead but I wonder if she would have been buried with John.

For some time I couldn't understand the situation with Elizabeth Gordon Brumwell and her siblings (born 1804-1809) being all illegitimate with mother being Elizabeth Gordon and Father William Brumwell (a Surgeon) given the Social Stigma and William's standing in the Community. However a Brumwell relative  provided the clue to the Serial Illegitimacy as William was previously married to Susannah Wilkinson but they seperated following her Adultery (as documented in previous post re the Trial of 1793, at it was only in 1810  (presumably on Susannah'S Death) that Willam and Elizabeth were able to marry. Catherine being born 1811 and after marriage hence being recorded as 1st child of the marriage.

Maggie360 I would love to get a copy of John Snr's Journal of the voyage to India when you have transcribed, if possible.

I have more information on most of the family which I have gathered and happy to provide.

For those with interest in the Brumwell connection I would recommend getting a copy of the newly reprinted book ' The Peninsular war 1808-1812 Letters of a Weardale soldier, Lieutenant John Brumwell, by William Morley. Eggleston 1912. Page 95 refers to William Brumwell's daughter (Elizabeth) marrying Mr Stephenson a chemical trader on the Tyne   and their son born during a voyage to India in 1829 ......' Book also has a genealogy of the Brumwell's. It is available Amazon.comand cost me US$10.99 plus postage.

Also available Amazon Uk 'The Trail at Large of Sir Matthew White Ridley,Bart....for   criminal conversation with the wife of Mr William Brumwell,... before Lord Kenyon, at Guildhall, March 4th 1793...' Cost was GBP18.19 plus postage.

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
As a F/u to above John Snr's Death Cert. Registration District Gateshead Union in the sub District of Heworth 1844 Vol 24 page 97 entry 273. Date of Death was 4th of December 1844 Heworth Shore John Stephenson Age 54 Operative Chemist, cause of death Hydrothorax, informant Elizabeth Stephenson present at death Heworth Shore.

Burial record Gateshead District Record No 624837.2, Location Heworth, Church St Mary Anglican, 5 December 1844 John Stevenson of Heworth Shore age 54.

Children of John Stephenson & Elizabeth Gordon Stephenson (Nee Brumwell)

John Atlantic Brumwell Stephenson b 18-6-1829 at sea Atlantic Ocean on board ship Argo. Chr Calcutta 1-4-1833
Henry Layton Stephenson b 11-1-1832 Singhee Bengal India. Chr Calcutta 1-4-1833.
Harriet Elizabeth Indianna Stephenson b 4-10-1833 Singhee Bengal. Chr 21-9-1838 Bishopwearmouth.
Catherine Mary Layton Stephenson b 21-7-1835. Chr 21-9-1838 Bishopwearmouth.
Leonard Quintus Stephenson b16-3-1838 Bishopwearmouth. Chr 21-9-1838 Bishopwearmouth.
Albert Peak Stephenson b 29-10-1840 Peak Staintondale Scarborough Chr?
Alfred Septimus Stephenson b 6-10-1843 Heworth Shore. Chr?

I would be interested if anyone can give reason for the name Layton as it is not only repeat in these children but in later generations as well. Must be of some significance. I have not been able to locate John & Elizabeth's marriage details but would guess abt 1828/9

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
oops just re checked my records Henry Layton Stephenson's 1st wife was Isabella Park (not Parks). Married 4-4-1853 Newcastle

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
Well hello to another link in the family tree! I too found this website/forum by complete chance and have been amazed with the links found to the Stephenson family with you, Buffers and Brian.
Your information has been a very important piece of the puzzle helping us solve the mystery of when he died. Do you know where or when he was born? I am also trying to find information about Indiana, born Harriet Elizabeth Indianna, and Leonard Quintus. Interestingly the only Leonard Quintus Stephenson I found was in Amereica. Had you already seen the information on John Atlantic? I have also found a copy of a poem by him but it is all in dialect and quite difficult to read!
I am trying to complete a tree which shows all the descendants so far and would love you to add your information. Maybe I could email you a copy so far?
As to the journal I am hoping to copy and bind the pages by next week so so let me know your address via email.I think you can send me a private reply back for this.( Unfortunately there will be a small cost just to cover postage and copying if that is alright with you. I now have three copies to send)
Regards,  Maggie

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

Happy to help with your research if able. I have a reasonable amount of info on the above children including Certificates or other collaborating info(birth,marriage,death etc).

Your Family history suggests a link to 'THE George Stephenson' well I am pleased to say that is our understanding also. However as there is no actual direct link to George or his son Robert it would have to go through Georges Siblings or more extended family. So far I have not been able to establish where our actual link is. However Henry Layton Stephenson was certainly involved in the railways and Family history was that he certainly accompanied Robert Stephenson o'seas building railways and bridges and that he drove the first train in India. Whilst the latter is possible I think it more possible that this was the first train on the 'Madras and Southern Marratta Railway Line'. I have a photo of Henry with his train in India 1864. If you click on the link below you can get some info on this. Henry is the one in the white shirt kneeling in the foreground with his dog. Perhaps someone with access to UK or Indian Railway railwaymen records can add some more info?

http://www.irfca.org/steam/history3.html

As to John Snr's birth around 1790/95 I have not been able to trace him or as previously mentioned his marriage. Possibility is that could have occurred o'seas.
Research from NZ is rather difficult, though more info now coming online which certainly helps and at times I have engaged a Genealogist to do some research for me (she tracked down John's death for me).
Some area's that I think could be fruitful, if people in the UK are able to conduct research would be on Tyneside Historical Society, the British Library and or the Royal Asiatic Society in London. This would relate to the Tyneside Chemical Industry pre 1829 and again 1841 to 1844, the British Library to see if HEICO have records of his appointment as Superintendent to its Saltpetre Factories in Behar Bengal from 1829 and the Royal Asiatic Society for any info they may have, given his Articles and Journals written in India.

Maggie I am more than happy to pay for the cost of printing binding and posting a copy of the journal to me. i will try the email link to make direct contact with you.

Ian

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
I have a PDF on JA Stephenson's writings which includes his signature (I believe was from his personal copy) which I can send to you. I have more info on Indianna and I see I omitted in earlier post to say she was also born Singhee.

Leonard is the odd one out as I can't find anything on him once he left home ie after 1861 Census.

I have photo's of Henry, one in his full Masonic garb (I think he was a Grand Master ) which shows his likeness to J A Stephenson. I will see if I can put this on post later.

Offline maggie360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
This all sounds so interesting. I have already looked at the link you sent and can't believe thats Henry! John's work in India is fascinating to see too, not that I understand too much of it but it is obvious he was a well respected expert in his field. When I read the journal I could tell he was very well educated and interested in science. If you give me your email address I can email you a couple of the pages to give you some idea of it. On the day JAS was born he is very pragmatic, states Mrs Stephenson has just given birth then continues his comment on weather etc!  Maggie

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry folks it pays to stop think and read. It was Catherine I forgot to include birth place and this was Bengal presumably also Singhee.