Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104461 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 August 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Births Mar 1865 
Stephenson  John Smith    Newcastle T.  10b 3

1871 census RG10 5071 folio 62
Back William Street Westgate
Alber P Stephenson 30 Head Married Gilder Whitby Yorkshire
Mary E Stephenson 25 Wife Married Newcastle Upon Tyne
John S Stephenson 6 Son Newcastle Upon Tyne
Albert H Stephenson 3 Son Newcastle Upon Tyne
Mary A Stephenson 1 Daughter Newcastle Upon Tyne

1881 census RG11 5048 folio 151
27 William Street Westgate Newcastle Upon Tyne
Albert Stephenson 40  Head Married Gilder and frame maker Whitby Yorkshire
Mary Stephenson 36 Wife Married Grocer's apprentice
John Stephenson 16 Son Errand boy
Albert Stephenson 14 Son
Mary Stephenson 11 Daughter
Lizzie J. Stephenson 9 Daughter
Alfred Stephenson 11 Son
Sarah E. Stephenson 4 Daughter
Indianna Stephenson 7 months Daughter
everyone except Albert senior born Newcastle Upon Tyne

16th January 1886 St James, Islington London
John Smith Stephenson 21 Bachelor Baker St James Holloway Albert Peck Stephenson Gilder
Martha Baillie 19 Spinster St James Holloway William Baillie Deceased Porter
Both signed
Witnesses Archibald Smail and Florence Foster

1891 census RG12 4214 folio 39
5 Elizabeth Street Byker Newcastle Upon Tyne
John Stevenson 26 Head Married Baker Newcastle Upon Tyne
Martha Stevenson 24 Wife Married Newcastle Upon Tyne
plus 2 lodgers

1901 census RG13 4760 folio 153
3 Belle Vue Grove Gateshead
John Stephenson 36 Head Married Bread Baker Newcastle Northumberland
Martha Stephenson 34 Wife Married Newcastle Northumberland
William Stephenson 8 Son Newcastle Northumberland
Andrew Stephenson 3 Son Gateshead Durham
John Stephenson 2  Son Gateshead Durham

Births Mar 1899 
Stephenson  John Smith    Gateshead  10a 935

Name: STEPHENSON, ANDREW
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: 50th Div. Ammunition Coy.
Date of Death: 23/02/1918
Service No: 174653
Additional information: Son of John S. and Martha Stephenson, of 2, Rock Grove, Low Fell.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 187.
Cemetery: GATESHEAD FELL (ST. JOHN) CHURCHYARD

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda, Maggie and Brian,

Where did the 1886 info with the Stephensons in Islington come from, Valda? Whatever else this info does, Brian, it definitely links your ancestor, John Smith Stephenson to the John Atlantic Stephenson line. The clue is in the member of the same household called Albert "Peck" Stephenson. This is a mis-spelling I've come across before. It should be Albert "Peak" Stephenson - that very unusual middle name is the link. There were 2 Albert Peak Stephensons, the first one was my wife's GG grandfather. He was John Atlantic Stephenson's brother. He had a son called Albert Henry who was my wife's G grandfather. Albert Henry's son Albert Peak II was my wife's grandfather. Albert Peak I had another son called John. On the 1871 census he is listed as simply John S. Stephenson 6 years, old alongside his younger brother Albert Henry who is 3. The fact that in 1886 there is a John Smith Stephenson at the same address as Albert Peak Stephenson (albeit spelled wrongly) must identify them as father and son. Therefore, Brian, the John S. on the 1871 census was indeed John Smith Stephenson, and he was John Atlantic Stephenson's nephew - so there's the link in your chain.  Although what father and son were doing in Islington in 1886 I have no idea. Maybe the whole family was there at that time. In 1891 Albert Peak and his wife Mary were back in Newcastle, although by then, the sons had moved on.  Again, Valda, where is this 1886 info from?

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

A marriage certificate merely gives information on where the couple had resided for three weeks in front of the marriage (if by banns) it gives no further information on the residency of anyone else mentioned on the certificate. There is no evidence, unless there is a witness signature, that even places fathers at the actual ceremony.

A marriage by tradition occurs in the bride's parish. People were arriving in London on a daily basis. It was a magnet for work opportunities. Some stayed and some left.

Pm sent

Regards

Valda

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Oh, I see Valda - didn't realise it was a marriage. Anyway - the presence of Albert Peak there means that the groom, John Smith Stephenson, was pretty certainly his son.

Yes, everone was scudding around the country looking for work at that time. Albert Peak Jr. my wife's grandfather, married an Elsie Maud Collingwood. Her father was also Tynesider (Collingwood is of course another name associated with Geordieland)  but by the time Else Maud was born, he'd been to Rochdale in Lancashire to get work, lived there for sevaral years and then returned to the Northeast.

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Valda and Buffers...clearly you know your way around and I have lots to learn. I did not know that my grandfather, John Smith Stephenson had another brother apart from Andrew, at least it appears that he did; I had never heard of him before, just wondering if he died in childhood. Thanks for identifying the link Buffers, I`m really pleased about that. I do remember hearing the name Indianna mentioned when I was a child, however my family were not good at recording information. One thing I do have from My great grandfather is his bakers recipes in a hand written book...clearly commercial proportions of ingredients. I have some unidentified photos too, however my mother believes that one of them is of Indianna.
Regards,
Brian
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

William seems to still be alive on the 1911 census aged 18 - you need to check that out for yourself - because of copyright reasons searches cannot be requested on Rootschat for that census and the free search is limited so I can't be sure.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Regards

Valda

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 August 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just checked with my mother who recalls that my grandfather did indeed have a brother called William who was a cabinet maker; for some reason he was rarely spoken of and it is believed that he died in the 1940's. He would have been the oldest of the three sons. She also believed that Indianna was so named as she had been born in the Indian Ocean; I see that there are two mentions of that name, one around 20 years earlier than second, so I`m thinking that one may have been named after the other assuming that there were in fact two of them.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 August 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The first Indiana was one of the children of the "original" John Stephenson, father of John Atlantic. He worked for the East india company and spent a lot of his time overseas with his family. John Atlantic Stephenson was so named because he was born in mid-Atlantic, on Waterloo day - John and his wife Elizabeth had a tendency to give their children flamboyant names. Indiana's name was given to her because she was born in the East Indies - the name at that time for the area which now includes Malaysia, Indonesia etc. Her younger brother, my wife's ancestor, Albert Peak Stephenson, was so named because he was born after the East India Company days, when the family was back in England. John was working for the Peak Alum Works on Peak Hill, Staintondale, between Scarborough and Whitby. Leonard was given the middle name of Quintus because he was the fifth child. Similarly, Alfred, the seventh child's middle name was Septimus. It was in the 3 year period between the birth of Albert, the sixth child and Alfred, the seventh, that the the family moved to the Gateshead area. John also died some time between Alfred's birth (or conception) and the 1851 census in Gateshead. We are all trying to find out whether this was before the family moved there and what were the circumstances of his death, because by 1851, the family's status had taken a bit of a plunge. They were living in a pretty rough area and the two sons old enough to work, John Atlantic and Henry, were just glass cutters - no sign at that stage of John Atlantic's celebrity status. Finding the father John's death record is proving to be difficult because it is such a common name in the north east. I believe Valda or Maggie has posted a list of possibilities.

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 August 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Maggie360; you mentioned a branch of the family in N.Z and a record that you now have in your possession. Thats very interesting; from the information received here its apparent that many of us are from the same family. My great grandfather was a nephew of John Atlantic Stephenson. I'd be interested in acquiring a copy of the documenation that you mention, if that is possible.

Brian Stephenson