Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104654 times)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian welcome back. Just a thought, but have you considered doing a Genealogy DNA test to help further research your Stephenson Genealogy. Many providers of DNA Testing now at very reasonable cost. Ancestry, FTDNA, MyHeritage, LivingDNA & 23andme etc.
Cheers Ian

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Thursday 13 September 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, I had been thinking about that actually.
I'll have a look at the service providers and set  the ball rolling.

Do you know if anyone has tried the Literary and Philosophical Society in Newcastle upon Tyne? I'll go and see what I can find, just as another avenue to explore.

Brian
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline Cycloman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm another descendant of JAS and have just read these posts with great interest.

I beleive he's my GGGF. Someone mentioned Dennis and Elsie in this thread, and I've heard my parents talk about them alot before. 
My Dad used to live in Jesmond with his parents as a child.

I'll see them at Xmas so will gather everyone around the PC and note down here all the lineage that they are aware of for you all.

:)

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I stumbled into a chat room on site and some very helpful people were straight on the case for me.
I have a possible hit for the John Stephenson we can't get past in 1800.

1784-1844 John Stephenson born Triconopoly, India.
Died 04 December 1844. Oldham, Lancashire.

The information linked Elizabeth Gordon and the Brumwell name.

Has anyone come across this information already?
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Saturday 09 February 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Painting by JAS. Low Friar Street, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Saturday 09 February 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I think that info can probably be classed as 'dubious':  the death date is correct but Ian has already purchased John's death certificate which shows him to have died in Heworth on that date, not Oldham.  The mention of Trichinopoly looks interesting given the family connection with India but the date is out - he was born c. 1790 according to his age at death.  It's the same with a lot of potentially intriguing info online unfortunately: without a source, it doesn't help much and can often send people off in the wrong direction entirely.

I'm still flying a flag for my suggestion of John being born at Romaldkirk in North Yorkshire in 1790,   son of William Stephenson and Mary nee Layton.  I have some circumstantial evidence for that (Layton as a middle name given to daughter Katherine for example) but not enough to stand as genealogical 'proof'.

Cheers,
Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

That's disappointing, but I did wonder how the people I was chatting with came up with that so quickly.
I did notice that they made an incorrect link to George Stephenson, Railway Engineer; so I put them right on that.

What was interesting was one comment about Elizabeth Gordon; another Gordon thought the family were from Berwick upon Tweed; apparently this came from their own searches, but not sure that it helps.

Are you still researching the Romaldmirk link?

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Not actively, no, Brian ... in fact my own connection is via the Brumwells rather than the Stephensons so I really just followed up because John & Eliz Stephenson and their offspring seemed such an interesting family group and because Ian had done such a sterling job in laying out juicy tidbits of info and clues!

The other couple of bits of circumstantial evidence I found at the time were that the John Stephenson x at Romaldkirk in 1790 had a sister Harriet who possibly married a Jacob Wilson and had several children, a couple of which were x at Heworth.  And that Leonard seems to have been a family name of the Stephensons clustered around Romaldkirk. Of course, both Harriet and Leonard were used as forenames by John & Elizabeth for their children.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
I know that I had a copy of the Stephenson family tree; not sure if it was from maggie360 or if it was posted on here at some point.
Just wondering if anyone can supply a copy, which I'll pay for of course?