Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104655 times)

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #315 on: Friday 10 January 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
John Brumell would be a cousin of William's (Wm's mother was Isabella nee Brumell).  I'm sure there is another family connection at some point between the Brumwells and the Brumells as you surmise.  I suspect John Brumell, gent., may be a son of the marriage of Hawdon Brumell, Wm's 1st cousin, and Dorothy Peareth since this branch were close to the Brumwells (e.g. "Brumwell, William son of Brumwell, John, barber surgeon with chandler is aged 20 years & upwards.  Deposition of Brumell, Hawdon, grocer of Newcastle, sworn before Blackett, John 7 Apr 1777.")

John Clayton is a Tyneside Great - he was the town clerk who oversaw the redevelopment of Newcastle in the 1830s and 40s under Dobson and Grainger and which left the town, now city, with the beautiful centre it has to this day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clayton_(town_clerk)

Regards,
Jon

I noticed that you mention a Hawdon Brumell.  Hawdon is an unusual first name - and it is my family line's last name.  This got my interest, because I see the name Brumell come up in my research.

In 1828, a George Brumell and a Henry Brumell signed as witnesses on the last will and testament of my 4x g-grandfather, William Hawdon.  If I remember correctly, I have also seen Brumell signatures on other documents related to my family.  William Hawdon was born in Hull, Yorkshire, England and died in Morpeth, England.

Does that line up for you to believe that our ancestors might have been close friends?  I can't help but think that there must have been a Hawdon daughter that married a Brumell and bore a son that they named Hawdon Brumell. 

I'm trying to find anything I can on William Hawdon now, so if there might be a connection, I would be interested to see if we have any info that might be helpful to each other.
ENGLAND: Thomas Hawdon (??-??)
ENGLAND: Matthias Hawdon (1732-1788)
ENGLAND: William Hawdon (1767-1836)
ENGLAND: John Crozier Hawdon (1807-1870)
ENGLAND-CANADA: Charles William Hawdon (1850-1935)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Sunday 12 January 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shawd,

The Brumells are connected to the Brumwells in some way but some distance from my own lines so excuse my information being somewhat sketchy.  Also this thread is primarily about the Stephenson connection into the Brumwells so I don't want to drift too far 'off topic'.

The only notes I have which might be of some help to you are that the Isabella BRUMELL who married John BRUMWELL in 1752 was the daughter of William Brumell and Mary nee HAWDON who married at St. Nicholas, Newcastle-on-Tyne on 6th June 1725 (listed as William Brumwell in the marriage entry - I'm sure the spelling of the name was pretty much interchangeable the further you go back).  According to my note, a William Hawdon, mariner, was a witness but please validate that for yourself.  He may be the elder brother of Mary, born 1692.  Also, as mentioned earlier, Isabella's younger brother Hawdon Brumell married a Dororthy Peareth in 1769.

On the Hawdon side, you mention William Hawdon of Morpeth, surgeon.  He looks to be the Wm Hawdon who married Ann Crosier at Felton in 1798 and I don't see any obvious connection to the Hawdons above so it might be just a coincidence that his will was signed by 2 Brumells - they were, after all, solicitors in the town.  The most likely parents of Mary Hawdon who m. William Brumell are Cuthbert Hawdon and Margaret nee Wardhaugh who married on 4 Apr 1677 at St. Nicholas.

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Sunday 12 January 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the helpful reply Jon!  It does sound like a coincidence then,  and it makes sense if they were the solicitors in town.
ENGLAND: Thomas Hawdon (??-??)
ENGLAND: Matthias Hawdon (1732-1788)
ENGLAND: William Hawdon (1767-1836)
ENGLAND: John Crozier Hawdon (1807-1870)
ENGLAND-CANADA: Charles William Hawdon (1850-1935)

Offline CindyE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:12 BST (UK) »
Maggie,
I found this post and chat room searching for info on my Stephenson family.

My direct maternal ggggg great grandmother was Margaret Peggy Lindsey Stephenson (1757-1842), wife of Robert Stephenson (1753-1837).  I have done autosomal and mtdna tests. 

The tree I was given about my Stephenson family, has a reference to John Atlantic as being the son of John Stephenson, son of Robert and Peggy.  In reading this chat, I now know this is incorrect.

There is much talk about THE George Stephenson, and how everyone is related.  There is a book "Recollections of a long life, 1829-1915" written by Isaac Stephenson, grandson of Margaret and Robert whom was a Senator in the US where I am from.  I live in the city he basically founded and is buried with many other Stephenson family members.  I just spend the day at the cemetery yesterday doing more research.  In this book, he states that Andrew Stephenson (his great grandfather and father of the above mentioned Robert Stephenson)  and George Stephenson, the engineer, came from the same stock.  The footnote reads:

1. George Stephenson, who built the first passenger railroad from Liverpool to Manchester, and the first locomotive, the Rocket, used on the line, was born in the village of Wylam, eight miles west of Newcastle-on Tyne. "A tradition is, indeed, preserved in the family that old Robert Stephenson's father (George Stephenson's great-grandfather) and mother came across the border from Scotland on the loss of considerable property there."  Smiles' Life of George Stephenson; John Murray: London 1857.

My branch is very large.  I guess when your family member has 17 children of which 15 came to North America there is a lot to research.

I am glad to be a part of this huge Stephenson family and look forward to learning more about my ancestors and relatives who are on the side of the pond.

Hope all of you are well and safe with the whole COVID thing going on.  It hasn't really hit us here yet in my area.

Cindy

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Saturday 09 May 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy, whereabouts in the US are you?

I have a possible 'cousin' in Springfield Illinois; It's a Pam Stephenson Lewis.
She spotted my name on a Facebook post and contacted me; I understand that a member of her family has been trying to find their roots.

It just made me wonder if you had any contact with her, or possible connection.

Brian
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline CindyE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Saturday 09 May 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,

I have not had contact with Pam, and am not quite certain which Stephenson she belongs to.  But, I am more than willing to look into things.  It's always nice to make new connections to fill in the blanks.  I will see if I can find her on FB and send her a message.

Thank you.  I hope everyone is safe and well.

Cindy

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Saturday 19 September 20 18:01 BST (UK) »
Ian et al.,

Just noticed today that Henry Leonard Stephenson (b. 1859) appears on the front cover of this book published as long ago as 2006.  He's top row middle photograph.

Jon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Villains-Prisoners-Newcastle-1871-1873/dp/1857951085/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=victorian+villains&qid=1600534565&sr=8-1
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline fjhs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Monday 05 April 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
I wanted to ask about mary Emily stephenson I found a grave at oamaru and wondered if she was family. I know alfreda Minnie and ivy were in Moraki area I have picture of grave but has little details looks like she died 1950 at about 74 years old.
and
Hi Fjhs,

Welcome. I am also in NZ but I have deferred responding as I knew Bryan was likely to make contact, which he has, being a direct descendant of William Layton Stephenson and he can update you on his family connections here.  Williams parentage and wider family connections are well covered in this forum, so you will find this of interest I am sure.

I can tell you that Frances Newton's parents were William Newton (a Blacksmith) b Abt 1819 and Frances Plettes b Abt 1817. They were married 1838 in Durham.

In 1871 they were living at 28 Commercial St Crook Durham with children Frances age 14 & John Thomas Newton age 19.

In addition they also had a Mary J Newton b Abt 1844 & Sarah A Newton b Abt 1854.

Frances married William 13-5-1877 at St Ann's Church St Andrew Auckland Durham with her brother John being a witness.

In addition to their children you refer to as being born in NZ they also had a son Harry Newton Stephenson b Abt 1878 Newcastle England. He and his parents sailed from England on the 1-11-1878 and arrived NZ 18-1-1879 on the ship Waikato.

Regards

Ian

Offline fjhs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Monday 05 April 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
There is a fanny Agnes Stephenson she was married to Robert William Stephenson and they lived in birdings flat and baptised a child robert William James Stephenson in 1889. I have sighted the records at the christchurch public library records and have a photo for anyone that would like it.in
What fabulous photos!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I do have a couple of questions though....

1. Where does Fanny Stephenson fit in?
2. Where does Katie Dickenson fit in?

Thanks again