Author Topic: 1821 Census - Trowbridge  (Read 3551 times)

Offline MrsW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1821 Census - Trowbridge
« on: Saturday 07 August 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have read that the 1821 Census for Trowbridge survived. Does anyone has access to this or know where I can find it?

Thanks

Louise

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1821 Census - Trowbridge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

I would imagine that it would be at Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre  Records Office. These early census generally only listed the head of the household.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=190-prtrostjassts&cid=10-61&kw=1821 census trowbridge#10-61

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=190

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MrsW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.

Without a trip to the records office, I don't think I am going to solve my problem. I found another forum with a lady who had the information on fiche, I have sent her a message in some hope she'll reply but her post on there was dated 2008.

I'll keep searching.

Just in case anybody would like to help me in my quest, I am searching for the Whitcombe/Whitcomb/Witcomb/Witcombe family born in Trowbridge, especially John (the father) born c1780/1790 who married Ann Heals in 1816 in Trowbridge (St James Church). His married cert states he was a widow. Trying to search for his first wife and his parents.

Thanks

Louise

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

This could be his first marriage
WITCOMB, John
Wife:   Jemima BRITTAN

Marriage 10th January 1808   
               St James, Trowbridge, Wiltshire,

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrsW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 August 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
This marriage keeps popping up but it seems that John and Jemima were having childen at the same time as John and Ann - so I don't think this is it!

The reason for my search of the 1821 census, I am trying to find clues as to other family members and I know the census wont tell me a lot but I have been informed that as well as their 4 sons, they also had 2 daughters, which don't show up on any census' that I can find nor on the IGI.

Louise

Offline redpaws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 January 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
The Wiltshire family history society produce a transcript of the 1821 census for trowbridge it only covers part of the trowbridge area and head of the household but its called:Censuses Miscellaneous Part I 1695-1887 Box, Corsham, Steeple Ashton, Trowbridge.
Wilts: Goodfellow, Coombs, Copp, Connor, Gibson, Amor, Freegard, Knee
Som: Woodland, Parsons
Kent: Page, Everest, Turner
Ire: O'Hara, Darcy, Spencer, Smyth, Murdock, Bones