Author Topic: census transcription error?  (Read 4238 times)

Offline PickupGreaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census transcription error?
« on: Saturday 07 August 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
1881 Selkirkshire  Census, John Crichton b.1805, 40 Overbaugh Street, Woolen weaver, daughter Margaret Greig 52 and her children, Jane P. Greig 23 and Margaret Greig 12.
1871 Selkirkshire Census, John Crichton b. 1807, 40 Overbaugh Street, Woolen weaver, daughter Margaret b. 1812, and her children, James Pringle 17, Jane Pringle 14, Jessie Pringle 12, Catherine Greif 4, Margaret Greif 2.
I haven't been able to find the Greig husband for Margaret, or anything further on Jane P. or Margaret Greig.  I think it may be possible that the P. in Jane P. Greig could stand for Pringle.  But maybe there are some transcription errors, in spelling and dates.  Ancestry doesn't have the actual census, and I don't have access to the original.  Please help.
Crichton, Buchanan, Houston, Dow,of Perthshire,   Ferguson and Stuart of Balguidder

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: census transcription error?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:29 BST (UK) »

Hello PickupGreaves,

It looks like Margaret Crichton, married a James Pringle, 07/Oct/1853. Melrose, Roxburgh. only point her names is Crickton, on the record.

They then had the three kids in Selkirk,
James Pringle, 15/Feb/1854,
Jane Buchanan Pringle, 08/Jan/1857,
Jessie Cunningham Pringle, 15/Feb.1859.

Some time after this James Pringle, must have died, Margaret Crichton, has a Illegitimate child born 31/May/1867, called Catherine Crichton, then on the 14/Oct/1867. Margaret Crichton, marries Andrew Greig, in Selkirk, next the couple have daughter Margaret Houston Greig, on 1/Feb/1869. in Selkirk.

It looks almost certain the Iligitimate child Catherine, is Andrew Greig's, daughter.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline PickupGreaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 05:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I have a migraine from working on this mess and not having enough information to sort it out.  I don't know how you did it but thank you. 
Crichton, Buchanan, Houston, Dow,of Perthshire,   Ferguson and Stuart of Balguidder

Offline PickupGreaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Jonn, thank you so much for all your help on the Crichton, Pringle, and Greig mess that I have.  I can't seem to trace any of them.  There are no census records showing Andrew Greig married to any Margarets,  and I have found no records for James Pringle.  I see the Pringle children are living with Margaret and her father at 40 Overbaugh St. and then I find another record of Jesse and James Pringle as husband and wife, with children living at Overbaugh.  Is this just a coincidence or did brother and sister get together.  I hate to even say that.  Thank you so much, Maxine

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 10 16:25 BST (UK) »

Hello PickupGreaves,

I see the 1881. census where James Pringle, and Jessie, are living 40 Overhaugh St. right next door to Margaret.

I do not think that James, is married to his sister, its most likely this is the marriage concerned, James Pringle, and Jessie Brady, married 23/Oct/1874. Ladhope, Roxburgh.

This Jessie, on the census, states she was born Gateside, Roxburgh, so that ties in with couple getting married in the girls area. This James Pringle's, age is correct, going by his birth, i notice to that their first child born is a James C. Pringle, its possible the C. stands for Crichton.

To connect this James Pringle, is yours you would have to purchase the marriage certificate of 23/Oct/1874. at Ladhope, Roxburgh, from Scotlandspeople, which will give his parents names.

Regards,
Jonn

Offline PickupGreaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
thank you again for figuring all that out.  Do you have access to the census reports so you can see the entire picture?  ancestry doesn't have that so it's not possible to see who lives next to who.  I've done some things with Scotlands people and it's great but the expense is more than I want to do right now.  I retired and need to watch my money.  I've been hoping to make a trip to Scotland.  Thanks again,  Maxine

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 November 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
The Scotland census index on Ancestry is a bit of a nightmare when it comes to accuracy of transcriptions.

To access the original images you really need to use ScotlandsPeople, and checking the actual image against the index is a vital step. Errors can creep into any site when there is a transcribed index created.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 November 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Maxine,

I had some spare credits, James m 1874 to Jessie Brady is indeed yours.

James Pringle age 20, usual adress Overhaugh Street and Jessie Brady age 18, usual address Lower Buckholmside, married 23/10/1874 Lower Buckholmside, Ladhope, Galashiels.

He was a Tweed Finisher and she was A Power Loom Weaver.

His parents were James Pringle, Woollen Weaver and Margaret Pringle m/s Crichton.

Hers were Richard Brady, Labourer and Jane Brady m/s Borthwick.

Witnesses were William Douglas and Jane Pringle.

Hope this helps.

If you would like a copy of the certificate pm me your email address.

I'm away for a couple of days from tomorrow morning so could send it when I get back.

Terry

ADDED

I don't know if you have Margarets death as follows;

Died 14/12/1899 aged 68 in Melrose Asylum, Roxburghshire
Married 1- James Pringle
Married 2- Andrew Greig, Shoemaker
Registered by Son in Law George Fisher of Innerleithen

Her parents were John Crichton and Jane Crichton m/s Buchanan.

This is possibly Andrew In 1861

High Steet, Dunbar, East Lothian aged 19 born Dysart Fife and a Shoemaker Journeyman.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk