Author Topic: George Johnston Mackie - Who did he marry?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Johnston Mackie - Who did he marry?
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
I would love to fill in this gap on my Family Tree after years of searching! I lost George Johnston Mackie after the 1851 Scottish C. where he was an Apprentice Nurseryman in Perth, Scot. He was born 7 Nov. 1847 at Arbuthnott, Kincardine, Scot., father- Alexander, mother -Mary Matthew.

His marriage in 1871 in Cork, Ireland and death Oct-Dec 1882 also in Cork Irealnd, have now appeared on the new Beta and Pilot Familysearch sites.

It was ironical that recently I was into my second to last day of researching in Salt Lake City when a Texas relative alerted me by email to this Data. All set to get out the relevant films the next day and get the data was met with a big disappointment as the Library was closed for Utah's Pioneer Day Parade!!

Here in New Zealand it takes so long now for films to reach us, up to 3 months at times and the price has tripled. The Church is waiting for permission to digitise these records but there is no timeframe available for this.

I would so like to know who he married, if there were children, his occupation, cause of death at such an early age etc., is there anyway of getting this data from another source?

Always hopeful - Faith G.     

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Johnston Mackie - Who did he marry?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
There aren't that many Mackie in Co. Cork so I searched civil registration index (LDS Pilot site) and found both George's death and one for a Rachel Homer Mackie (Jan./Mar.1933 Cork dist., age 94 so born c1839).
George Johnson Mackie married 1871 Cork registration district volume 5 page 154.
Then searched Irish marriages (also LDS Pilot site) for a Rachel married 1871 Cork with same volume and page numers and found- Rachael Wills so the 1933 death found is likely George's wife.
Can't find any children.
Rachel Mackie's in 1901 census as a widow- born Devonshire- aunt to Elizabeth Emily Carter:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/North_East_Ward/Sunmount_Terrace/1103151/
And in 1911 as guardian to Elizabeth Emily Carter-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__3_Urban/Summount/387150/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Johnston Mackie - Who did he marry?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Thanks Aghadowey - this is wonderful and as it is so late here now, I'll sort it all in the morning!

Grateful thanks - Faith :) :)