Author Topic: Identifying district in Dumfriesshire - Ecclefechan  (Read 12265 times)

Offline bruros

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying district in Dumfriesshire - Ecclefechan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 August 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Greetings GeePee and Gadget ! I just read you exchange of info. which is v.interesting . For what it mat be worth to you in your research, my Gr.Gr.Gr.Gr.Grandfather was William Graham ( b.1740 ) his wife was Jean Johnston ( b.1744) . They had, three sons ( to the best of my knowledge ! ) :- Thomas (b. 1783), Richard ( b.1765), and John (b.1786). I am descended from Thomas and his wife Jane Johnston's son George ,( b.1823) who had a brother , William (b.1821) and two sisters, Hellen and Isabella ( b. 1816 and 1817 respectively.) I believe "all of the above " were born in Middlebie. They then emigrated to Manchester ( Chorlton upon Medlock to be precise ) , and two generations later they were scattered to the four winds ( and I don'mean maybe !)....South of England, California and recently ( 1966 ! ! ) New Zealand. I guess this info. will be interesting, but I hope it might be useful ! ....by the way, to get Maps in GREAT detail, do a Google Search on :- bt.com,residential ( = the Brit.Phone Book ! ) and on their first page do an advanced search for ( for example ) "Graham . G. Canonbie "( or Ecclefechan ). Keep on entering Grahams , of various initials, until you come up with a list, and then click on "maps "on the same page. Once a map comes up , you can adjust the Zoom substantially ! Good luck ! That particular method has given me a much better understanding of Dumfriesshire, than any Atlas I've seen ! Cheers the noo and a'that , Bruce Graham

Offline GeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 August 10 08:14 BST (UK) »
Greeting to you too, Bruce. Subsequent to the exchanges, above, I have had some wonderful comprehensive information from another forum member who lives in the district where my family originated. (just shows how many very helpful people are about :) )
Also the information I had and have received could be a red herring, because there were so many Grahams in that area with common names that, unless you check them out carefully, you could be on the wrong track.
We do have common names in the Ecclefechan area (Eaglesfield etc)...
I have George b 1811 (Birth registered Lochmaben) who married Jean Jardine b 1816
They had five children, Catherine Johnstone b 1837 Reg. Eaglesfield; Barbara Bryson b 1837, Reg. Eaglesfield; John, b 1839 reg Eaglesfield; then William b 1841 and Katherine b 1842 both in West Bolden, Sunderland.
George and Jean moved south with the first three children to the Sunderland area - he as a road laborer following the construction of the Gt North Road and settled in W Bolden initially.  No records of the Manchester area :(

So, there are common names and other commonalities, such as Catherine's second name of 'Johnstone' etc.

Keep in touch and I will see how the family could be connected.
Graham

Offline bruros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 August 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Good evening GeePee , from New Zealand !! ! Hey , thanks a bunch for your swift reply ! I often shove in  a few remarks , and ask a couple of questions, when I crack into a site that looks as though the "occupant "and myself have "common ground ", it very often happens that no-body EVER comes back to me ! ! YOU HAVE DONE ! I am MOST grateful for that .!  As I look through the History of the various Graham Families, particularly in "The Debateable Lands ", it certainly is a wonder that ANY records survive to the present day. I am most definately very pleased that I was born in 1940 , NOT 1640 , or some date between then and well after the Rebellion of 1745 ! ! ! When I am pursuing Grahams, on Ancestry .com., I am frankly AMAZED at the vast number who re-located to the early Colonies , like Virginia . Being a bit of a Banjo and Guitar player, ( not to mention the Violin ! ! )I am always VERY keen to hear re-makes of the traditional "Scots/ Irish "music, still played in such parts as The Appalacians etc.... Thanks again for the reply, look forward to keeping in touch. Cheers the noo and' a'that, Bruce Graham

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 October 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
My gg grandparents John Kerr and Mary Gowanlock were both born in Scotland somewhere about 1800.  They are in the 1851 census living in Hoddam, Dumfriesshire.    They moved to Wigton, Cumberland 1863.  Upon his death in 1877, John's body was taken to the Ecclefechan Station from there to be buried at St Mungo Church. 

I am unable to find any record of their births or marriage.  I read it a message posted (somewhere??) that John was the son of John Kerr and his second wife Jane Moffat and that he was born Sept 1 1799.  That doesn't seem to fit with census records which place him born bet 1801-1804.  My family record show him son of William Kerr and Phillis   which fits with d daughters named Phillis.   I have no dates whatsoever for William and Phillis although children are:  Andrew, George, (1810-1826) Jane, John (abt 1804-1877) and Thomas (1817-1881).  Also an unnamed female child.  John and Mary had at least 3 children who emigrated to Canada:  William, Jannet and Mary.   I have lots of information for Canada and some  for northern England all after 1800.  I would love help for the generations born before 1800. 

If you wish to contact me personally (*)

Looking forward to hearing from "long lost relatives"!!

Jan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
My gg grandparents John Kerr and Mary Gowanlock were both born in Scotland somewhere about 1800.  They are in the 1851 census living in Hoddam, Dumfriesshire.    They moved to Wigton, Cumberland 1863.  Upon his death in 1877, John's body was taken to the Ecclefechan Station from there to be buried at St Mungo Church. 

I am unable to find any record of their births or marriage.  I read it a message posted (somewhere??) that John was the son of John Kerr and his second wife Jane Moffat and that he was born Sept 1 1799.  That doesn't seem to fit with census records which place him born bet 1801-1804.  My family record show him son of William Kerr and Phillis   which fits with d daughters named Phillis.   I have no dates whatsoever for William and Phillis although children are:  Andrew, George, (1810-1826) Jane, John (abt 1804-1877) and Thomas (1817-1881).  Also an unnamed female child.  John and Mary had at least 3 children who emigrated to Canada:  William, Jannet and Mary.   I have lots of information for Canada and some  for northern England all after 1800.  I would love help for the generations born before 1800. 

If you wish to contact me personally (*)

Jan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid
Hi Jan As you will see I started this thread way back in August. There does not seem to be any connection between my 'Graham' family and yours, so I would suggest you start a new threadf with your information.  I have found that there are some wonderful people on this web site and I have been given so much inofrmation that I am still strying to sort it into some sort of readable order.  Good luck with your searching.  Therre is a lot of good information out there....
Graham

Wul

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Good evening GeePee , from New Zealand !! ! Hey , thanks a bunch for your swift reply ! I often shove in  a few remarks , and ask a couple of questions, when I crack into a site that looks as though the "occupant "and myself have "common ground ", it very often happens that no-body EVER comes back to me ! ! YOU HAVE DONE ! I am MOST grateful for that .!  As I look through the History of the various Graham Families, particularly in "The Debateable Lands ", it certainly is a wonder that ANY records survive to the present day. I am most definately very pleased that I was born in 1940 , NOT 1640 , or some date between then and well after the Rebellion of 1745 ! ! ! When I am pursuing Grahams, on Ancestry .com., I am frankly AMAZED at the vast number who re-located to the early Colonies , like Virginia . Being a bit of a Banjo and Guitar player, ( not to mention the Violin ! ! )I am always VERY keen to hear re-makes of the traditional "Scots/ Irish "music, still played in such parts as The Appalacians etc.... Thanks again for the reply, look forward to keeping in touch. Cheers the noo and' a'that, Bruce Graham

Hi Bruce and all

Bruce your Graham line may be impossible to trace from the wrong side of the border as records are not kept as well as in Scotland, but hey, I did what I could!

Regards,

William Graham

Offline GeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
May I give a public thank you to a valued member of this forum, who gave many hours of help in establishing my family tree (the Scottish part) records way back further than I could ever have done from my location in Essex.

Thanks a lot CSC, I am still sorting and recording all the information that you have sent me.

Graham 

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 October 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
My gg grandparents John Kerr and Mary Gowanlock were both born in Scotland somewhere about 1800.  I am unable to find any record of their births or marriage.   after 1800.  I would love help for the generations born before 1800. 

Jan

Janeli 1, welcome to Rootschat.   Because my line is also Dumfriesshire I was reading GeePee's thread with interest, and realised your posting is 'buried' in the middle and hasn't been picked up.   Why not start a fresh thread on the same (Dumfriesshire) board with the full details you posted earlier in this thread so that people can help?

The one thing I can tell you is that I've found a OPR (Old Parish Record) for a marriage between a Mary Gowanlock and a Thomas Kerr (not John) on 20 June 1842 in Brydekirk, Dumfries.   You don't say when approx the marriage took place (often a year or two prior to the birth of the first child) so don't know if this is yours or not.    If it is, you may see more on the original entry, though OPRs do vary in the amount they record.
If you want to see it, go to Scotlands People, which is a pay per view site, but not expensive, especially considering the quality of what you often get to see.    The reference to search is 813/0B 0010 0025, or just search pre-1855 marriages for Mary Gowanlock in Dumfries and it will come up.

Do make that separate posting though - when you post in the midst of another thread it's too easy to be overlooked.   Good luck
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 October 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks.  As yet I can't figure out how to post to a new thread but will keep trying.  I believe they married around 1826.  I have tried scotlandspeople but not found them.   
I will keep trying.  Thanks again.
Jan