Author Topic: France - Burial Location Look-up please  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: France - Burial Location Look-up please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 13 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

The s.s. Elloughton was berthed at Dunkirk, ready to depart when at 8.30am on the 22nd (not the 21st) he slipped from the gangplank into the water.  His body was recovered on 23rd December at 3am and brought by 4 police men to the Town Hall which was the civic headquarters for Dunkirk.  His place of death was Dunkirk Harbour.

He was Irish, born in Co. Sligo in 1884.  At that time though they were referred to as 'British Sligo'.
Because Bute Road is close to the dock area, I assume this was a lodging house he used in-between trips.  He was resident in Co. Sligo, Ireland.  His RS2 No. was 377173. He had been issued with the British Medal/Ribbon and Mercantile Marine Medal/Ribbon, in September 1919.

Iv had help on the ground in Dunkirk to find his grave there without success.  Ill check with the closest RC church and see what happens.

Thanks for advice

Tu

Scotland:  Browne, Glancey, McGuire, Mitchell
Ireland:    Bruen, Bushell, Cunnane, Devaney, Ffrench, Gallacher, Glancey, Hart,
                 Hughes, Kilgallon, Mahon, Meechan, Moore, Moran, McGowan,
                 Reddy, O'Conor, O'Hara, Crean-Lynch, Plunkett
England:   Browne, Devaney, Glancey, Crean-Lynch, Kilgallon
USA:         Devaney, McGowan, Bruen, Kilgallon, Hart
Australia:  O'Hara, Browne

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the link.  It leads me to the Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland which I have searched for the ships log without success. 

The owner of the Elloughton at the time was Gooldun Shipping Co. London.
She was sold on 1.1.1920 (8 days after his death) to J. Pridmore & A.E. Roe, London.
As she was registered in England I was hoping that the log would still be accessible

Ill have a look at the french site you mention thanks again,

Tu.
Ireland:    Bruen, Bushell, Cunnane, Devaney, Ffrench, Gallacher, Glancey, Hart,

Offline Joee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 September 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, my first post here. John McGowan is an ancestor of mine too. I've always thought he must have been buried in France, since if the body had been returned to Sligo, he would probably have been buried in Drumcliffe in the grave with two of his siblings who had died in 1890. But it sounds like it's proving elusive.
On the photo thread I saw the query about his cap badge. I have in my notes that he was a captain with the Yeoward Brothers shipping line. It looks maybe on the badge are the letters Y.B. plus the distinctive stripe of the Yeoward Brothers [changed to Yeoward Line in 1920].
Joseph and Rosanna of Rose Cottage are my great-grandparents too. My grandmother is Bedelia Josephine (Delia) McGowan, born 1886 - and a sister to Katie, born 1890, - your grandmother? [am I right, tu?]. We must be kindred spirits!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 September 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joee - Welcome to Rootschat ;D

Tu has not posted on here for a while but perhaps will come back if the notification of your reply to the post reaches the right e-mail.

In the meantime - why not take a look around the site - there are lots of interesting threads to read and some very helpful people.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tu2Tu

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 September 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine,

Lovely to connect with you on roots chat - you must be on Aunty Baby's side !
Are you Peter & Margarets daughter???   
Yes Katie is my grandmother.

I can PM (private message) you but you must post 2 more times to activate it, as I cant leave an email address here.  Looking forward to hearing from you !

Tu

Offline Joee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 September 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome milly - there looks much to interest here, once I have found my way around the numerous threads.

Tu, good to hear from you - I was browsing the internet for a picture of the Elloughton 142761 which led me to your query on here! I shall contact you. The only extra information on the ship I have [not really helpful for finding the location of the grave] was from the coasters-remembered.
net site.
Totally random and very much a long-shot, I came across an article about a Welsh sailor who died in Dunkirk in December 1918, and who was buried in the Cemetery of Petite-Synthe in the middle of Dunkirk. Could this be a possible resting-place for John McGowan?
May I ask - were your sources for the actual incident and the medals awarded, from The National Archives? Definitely on my 'to visit' list.
I guess you will already have come across the Merchant Navy I.D. Card for John [and his brother James] from FindMyPast. A great source for providing a photo & some personal details [including interesting tattoo!]. Unfortunately it is just stamped 'Cancelled' with no clue as to his burial site though.