Author Topic: William Farmiloe  (Read 4926 times)

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Farmiloe
« on: Monday 09 August 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Additional info Gloucester-L archives ref 0994970340, can anyone give me any further info regarding his death, like his age, where he lived and widow details, think he may have been my great grandfather, have him married hester Robins in1860, have him in cencus 1871 Kingscote, gloucestershire and then nothing after this, thankingyou in anticipation, kind regards

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Farmiloe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1841 William is with his parents Joseph (Ag Lab) and Eliza both born 1801 and siblngs Elizabeth 1826, John F 1827 Thomas 1830, Phebe 1833, Joseph 1836 and William 1839 all living at Ragens, Horsley, Latheridge, Stroud. (a couple of funny place names there)

1851 Joseph FARMILODE born 1799 Chetton Wilts and Eliza b. 1799 Horsley, siblings John b1828 Horsely, Thomas 1831 Horsley, Joseph 1836 Horsley and William 1839 Somerwell.Living at Comb, Wotton under Edge.
This one has similarity with the 1841 one.

1851 another William Farmiloe living with parents Benjamin 1812 Horsley and Sarah born 1816 Croperdy, Oxon and siblings Mary Ann b. 1838 and Hester 1846 living at Theam at Downend, Horsley.

William Farmiloe and Hesther are on the 1861 census at Old Lay Cottage, Back St, Kingscote.  He was born c1840 Horsley and is a carpenter and Hesther was born c1841 Eastington.

I have not found anything else yet but will keep looking.

Elizabeth

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
There is a birth entry for William Farmiloe 1/1840 with mother's former name of Smith but I cannot find any marriage for that combination in the Gloucestershire area.

There are a lot of baptisms for the name Farmiloe and its derivations but none that I can see that match any details I have found. 

As you only think William is your ancestor, can you give us the details of why you think he is.  It may help to identify him.

Elizabeth

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Hester Robins who married a William Farmiloe in oct-dec 1860, I have them on cencus for 1861 and he then disappears, have since heard that a William farmiloe died  by being hit by a train at Camp Hill, Midlands Railway in Sept 1870 according to the Western Daily Express but am trying to find out if this could possibly be him.

Hester went on to have the following children, Charles 3/1877,Frederick W Farmiloe 6/85 George 1872, Harriet dec 1868, William 1884 and Nathaniel mar 1871(possibly with a Nathaniel Hurcombe) also my grand mother Lily in Dec 1884. After her death in April 1885 Lily becomes a boarder in Painswick but I have not been able to locate the others, they may have gone to Canada with other family members but do not know how to check this out.

Sorry to go on, but I'm really getting into this now, thanks kind regards Mary

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

1881 census living at Penn, Kings Stanley are:

Nathaniel Hurcombe single b.1836 Kings Stanley occ. Wool Swiller
Hester Farmiloe  Mar.  Boarder b. 1843 Eastington  oc.. Charwoman
Harriett   boarder illegitiamte bor 1869 Horsley
Nathaniel  boarder illegitimate born 1870 Kings Stanley
George  b. 1872          ditto
Frederick W  b. 1874   ditto
Charles  b. 1877          ditto
William  b. 1880           ditto

All the children are named Farmiloe.

As Esther is married, it could be that they are separated and William is still alive at this point.

Will see what else there is.

Elizabeth

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
1891 census living at Borough, Kings Stanley, Selsey were:

Edwin J Griffin mar  born 1861 Eastington, bricklayer and stone mason
Mary Griffin      mar born 1863 Horsely  Tailoress
Kate Harriet Farmiloe single, sister in law born 1869 Horsley  tailoress
George W Farmiloe single  brother in law born 1873 Kings Stanley Gen Lab

Edwin is probably the brother to Esther as they are close in age and both were born at Eastington.  Harriet and George would be nephew and niece but this was often interpreted wrongly.

1891 at Stonehouse Rd, Stonehouse, Ebley was:

Nathaniel Hurcombe lodger, single born 1869 Kings Stanley  Milkman

1891 at Broad St. Kings Stanley was

Nathaniel Hurcombe a widower boarder born 1835 Kings Stanley Labourer

I will try for the others now.

Elizabeth

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elizabeth x

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I made a mistake in saying that Harriet and George were nephew and niece.  They were most likely siblings of Mary.  Edwin J Griffin married Mary Farmiloe 3rd quarter 1885, so is Mary another child of Esther that we don't know about.

Just looked up the births for Farmiloe/Robins and found Mary along with several others.

James 1862  (father) Farmiloe (mother) Farmiloe (mmname) Robins Didmarton
Mary 1863  (father) Farmiloe (mother) Farmiloe (mm name) Robins Horsley
Harriet  1868 (mother) Farmiloe  Horsley
Nathaniel  1870 (mother) FArmiloe (mmn) Robins  Rodborough
William George 1873  (mother )  Farmiloe  Rodborugh
Frederick Walter Robins 1875 (mother) Farmiloe (mmn) Robins Rodborough
Charles Robins 1876 (mother) Farmiloe (mmn) Robins Rodborough
Linda Gertrude Farmiloe  1882 (mother) FArmiloe (mmn) Robins Rodborough
Lily Orinah 1884 (mother) Farmiloe Rodborough

All children are registered Farmiloe except Frederick and Charles and they are Robins.  Place name is where the birth was registered.

This widens the search a bit more now.

Do you still want  census information on Lily?

Elizabeth

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
 Not aware of a daughter named Mary but then they would have been born after the 1881 cencus and then the mum Hester died 13th april 1885 and they all moved. I have Lily as a boarder in Painswick in 1891, she was living with the Hale family, he was a quarryman and they are listed on her baptism certificate as godparents, perhaps they took her in. In the 1891 cencus she was living at Vinlands, Vicarage St Painswick as a servant. She ended up in service in Stevenage and my grandfather Alfred Leggett was working at his parents fish shop and delivered fish to her place of work and that is how they met, they married in Dec 1906.
The family said that her brothers went to Canada to live and that they wanted her to go but she wanted to stay in the UK, so I don't know where or when they went.

Hester was on the 1871 cencus living with a Nathaniel Hurcombe and only had Harriet aged 2 and Nathaniel aged 1,James and Mary would only have been 8 & 9 perhaps they were living with William Farmiloe, I really don't have a clue as to what happened to him, he was a carpenter in the 1861 cencus, and I have no further news on him apart from a William Farmiloe died at Camp Hill Railway in September 1870 but have no way of knowing if this was him as unable to find a death registered in that name for that period.

Thanks for your help. Mary x