Author Topic: Findynate in Logierait Parish, Perthshire.  (Read 4720 times)

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Findynate in Logierait Parish, Perthshire.
« on: Monday 09 August 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
HI, is there anyone with knowledge of Findynate in 1800 who can give me details about the area. I have traced my Gt Gt Grandfather Donald who was born there in 1803 to James McDonald who was a weaver and his wife Janet Connacher, Donald is listed as been born in Neihle Findynate and his brothers are listed as born in Findynate.

Can anyone tell me which house etc that would have been, I hope to take picts. of the house or ruin if it still exists, I have looked at the area on the Google map and understand there is a farm and a big house there with perhaps some cottages within the area.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Colin.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Findynate in Logierait Parish, Perthshire.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Donald is listed as been born in Neihle Findynate
Are you sure that isn't Meikle Findynate?

The Ordnance Survey six-inch 19th century map (in the online map collection at www.nls.uk) shows Fyndynate, Little Fyndynate and Fyndynate Cottage. On the modern 1:25,000 map there are Findynate Farm and Findynate. Findynate Farm is where Little Fyndynate is on the old map. I speculate that Meikle Findynate is therefore the place named on the maps as plain Findynate.

Can anyone tell me which house etc that would have been
If his father was the actual farmer, he would probably have been born in the farm house. However if his father was one of the farm workers, it wouldn't be easy, if indeed possible, to determine which house or cottage he was born in, even if the cottages have survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian for your input and you were right it is Meikle which I understand is an old Scots word for big or large so it is possibly the family stayed in the larger Fyndynate House that stands on it's own on the 1855 map.
Colin.

Offline john62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I am curious if you know any details on Janet Connacher?  My ancestors also came from Logierait, but moved to Perth in the late 1790's.  Among my GGG grandfather Charles's children there was a Janet Connacher born 20 March 1803.  The only other Janet's I am aware of born in the area are +/- 10 years from 1800.
Regards
John Connacher

Offline john62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I see I misread your post and Janet Conachar is the wife of James McDonald married in Dull on 8 June 1792.
See Link for film info from familysearch...
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordimage&c=fs:1771074&r=r_695527150&pn=p1

You may also want to check out the record from Logierait that has James McDonald and Janet Connachar on 16 Jun 1792

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordimage&c=fs:1771074&r=r_696188750&pn=p1

Assuming there is only one family of James/Janet hey appear to have had 2 children a David MacDonald 28 Apr 1806 to James MacDonald and Jannet Connachar and Donald McDonald 13 Oct 1803 to James McDonald and Jannet Connacher  They both are born in Logierait and can be found on Batch C11376-6 Film 1040125

My ancestors from Logierait and Moulin and had marriages in both parishes which appeared to be the custom at the time(and also misspell the number on n's in Connacher)

I also checked my Janet's from the 1770's and this is what I have:
JANET   CONACHAR   Gender:   Female   Christening:   13   APR   1767   Logierait,   Perth,   Scotland
JANET   CONACHAR   Gender:   Female   Christening:   10   JUN   1770   Logierait,   Perth,   Scotland
Janet   CONACHAR   Gender:   Female   Birth:         1771   Dull,   Perth,   Scotland
Janet   CONNACHAR   Gender   Female   Birth         1771   Logierait,   Perth,   Scotland>

Note: It is interesting to note that a Janet Connachar married a John McDonald on 12 Jun 1792 in Logierait

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordimage&c=fs:1771074&r=r_696188749&pn=p1

Regards
John Connacher

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
The Charles Conachar I have married Margaret McIntosh in 1761 in Logierait and their family born in Logierait were John B. 18/12/1763, Andrew B. 6/10/1765, Janet B. 10/6/1770 and David B. 17/8/1772, there may be other siblings but these are the ones I found at the time.

Janet married James McDonald 16/6/1792 and their family was Alexander B. 26/6/1799, Donald B. 13/10/1803 and David B. 28/4/1806.
I have copy's of the the church marriage paper for Charles and Margaret and the church birth/baptism papers for the 4 children that I found, if you would like copy's let me know, I get all my details from Scotlands People.
I use the spellings that are on the papers, the spellings do vary depending on who took the original details.

Hope this may be of some help to you.
Regards
Colin.

Offline tamlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 December 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Colin -

My gr gr grandfather was Donald MacDonald, son of Jannet Connacher and James McDonald. My grandfather, Thomas Nicol MacDonald, was the son of Donald's son Daniel. I came across the posts here while searching for information on Meikle Findynate.

I saw that you offered to share with one of the other posters here some of the records you've found on ScotlandsPeople. If you have anything for James and Jannet or sons, I'd be very interested and willing to share the papers I have -- most of what I have is related to Donald and his offspring.

Thank you!

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 December 16 11:17 GMT (UK) »
author=johnconnacher link=topic=474061.msg3341770#msg3341770 date=1281587053

My ancestors were from Logierait and Moulin and had marriages in both parishes which appeared to be the custom at the time(and also misspell the number on n's in Connacher

A common misconception. These records are of the proclamation of intent to marry, not of the marriage ceremony, and if the bride and groom were from different parishes, proclamation was made in both of those parishes. Sometimes one record will be more detailed than the other.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 December 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
author=johnconnacher link=topic=474061.msg3341770#msg3341770 date=1281587053
also misspell the number on n's in Connacher
Another common misconception. There was no such thing as 'correct' spelling until the early 20th century. You will find that the same person's name can be spelled in any number of different ways. The number of letters 'n' in Con(n)acher is not significant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.