Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 8 Episode #4: Monty Don  (Read 41898 times)

Offline esmeralda100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do you Think You Are? - Monty Don
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
A further thought - I believe that Christchurch settlers (mostly English) were required to have a letter of recommendation from their vicar - I wonder who wrote one for Ann Hodge.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Yes that Harriet died and they obviously called the next child after her but she disappears.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
Was Ann's maiden name mentioned, did any of the children end up with her family??
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
4 yr old Charlotte is a 'visitor' in 1851
HO107 2121 410 28

The other children are with their Dad, the vicar, Charles Hodge
HO107 2121 254 35
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
I can't say that this was a good episode for me.  Monty Don kept mumbling - despite rewinding, I still couldn't make out what happened to his brother and sister.  

According to my OH it was a car crash (that was the point I got up & put the sound through the hi-fi so I could hear the rest clearly) ;)

I enjoyed this one - a good mix in the type of story - religious husband & emigree wife and a successful business. When we heard Guernsey OH commented that it was a bit early for tax avoidance - to find that wasn't the case! I did wonder about what happened to their 100 employees when the business was transferred to Silvertown(liked Monty's comment on the 25 men & 75 persons).

I think he was genuinely interested and therefore came over well - the reaction when he realised the identity of the painting he'd grown up with and then when he produced it struck me as the sort of feeling I suspect many of us get when solving a family puzzle.

As ever there were plenty of loose ends that sound interesting - what happened to those taken by their father to New Zealand (apart from Vere sent back), for example? Plenty of material for more than one programme in the wider family.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
a woman who leaves her family was quite a turn up.
However, bearing all those children to an unhappy, unfulfilled husband might have  been just too much.

With her youngest child so young, I wondered if she was suffering from postnatal depression, no doubt not recognised or understood in those days.

Found it an interesting programme, each one throws up new ideas and resources for our own research (even after all these years of researching I am still learning).

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
I thought Monty's episode was really good, the series for me is definitely getting more interesting as it progresses.

He did seem genuinely interested and like Mark says, I thought it was good too he was taking notes. He also kept the portrait of Rev. Charles Hodge, which I am sure means something more to him now, if if Monty himself was reserved about him.

One thing that did make me laugh...he went up to Edinburgh and they filmed him looking at a certificate from Wandsworth and the census on ancestry! I wonder if the unseen footage will show more about any Scottish documentation he uncovered before heading to Dundee???

Matt ;)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
With her youngest child so young, I wondered if she was suffering from postnatal depression, no doubt not recognised or understood in those days.
Pat ...

That thought crossed my mind too at the time and I am not sure now I can recall how her journey was funded. It's one thing going back to family but to a place where even now would still be daunting was either very brave or very foolish. I expected tragedy to come to her but then it was revealed that she lived to a ripe old age.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 13:03 BST (UK) »

Also, what was this Religious Census that was mentioned, I've never heard of it.

i didnt see the program (have sky plussed it though) but was it the religious census of 1766 (Ireland) you refer to or a different one?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive