Author Topic: hills travelling fair  (Read 5482 times)

Offline rainscombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hills travelling fair
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
miles is  my husband's family

Offline rainscombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
sorry dido thought you said miles

Offline banmrk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 October 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Dido,

I hope you do mind me getting in touch with you on here as I am very interested in your question about Bertha Hill. I am a Butlins collector and own a website that is quite popular, I have not placed the link on here until I ask a moderator for permission. However, that is not the point of the message, I wanted to ask, if you do not mind, if you were able to find further information about Bertha as I have done a timeline on the site showing her importance to the Butlin time line.

This has excited me when I had seen this and that is why I registered, I am hoping you might know some answers. Between 1905 - 1910, Billy Butlin and Harry John Butlin had returned back England when Bertha and William separated. They returned back to Bertha's mother on the Hill's Travelling fair and it was here that Billy Butlin had learnt about being a showman and selling gingerbread men (showing the business side).

Sadly, Harry John Butlin (known as Binkie, which is represented in Butlins in a bear form today) passed away from Polio. Bertha and Billy continue with the family tradition (as it's stated) until 1910 when she made the difficult decision to move to Canada in hope of a new life and a better future for her and Billy. However, Billy remained in England and was looked after by two aunties (names unknown) and a cousin named Jimmy Hill.

It was in 1915, that Bertha married Charles Robotham and Billy moved to Canada. This is the research that has been shown to me, however, I would like to show the important name of families that help Billy in the past, for example, the two aunties. I am unsure if you are aware of the above, however, I am very interested if you don't mind helping out with the research. Of course, if you say no, I would fully respect this as it's a big thing to ask.

In the meantime, I am in touch with Sir Billy Butlins Nephew through a friend and the God Daughter of Sir Billy Butlin. I will ask to see if they might know any further information, however, I can not make any promises as I respect their decision to help out or not.

I wish you good luck in your research and if you believe any of the above is incorrect, please let me know.

Kind regards, Banmrk.