Author Topic: Finding the Right Father  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Botticelliwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the Right Father
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have trees on GenesReunited and ancestry and have got quite a lot of info from other tree members.  It seems to be widely held that my ancestor William Leng's father was a John Leng of Wilberfoss who married a Hannah Hornsey (also of Wilberfoss).  William and his (twin) brother Robert were both baptised at St Savior, York but in searching (IGI) I seem to have found another John Leng and Hannah who baptised children of the same name.  How can I find out which was which and whether or not the Wilberfoss connection is right or a red herring?
I have recently acquired the marriage certificate of my ancestor William which lists his father, John, as a shoemaker.  William was living in Rotherham by the 1841 census, with his mother Hannah and wife Charlotte.  Other tree owners have John (allegedly William's father) on the 1841 census living in Fulford York with several of his children.....I'm running out of ideas...please help!!!

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the Right Father
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to RootsChat  :) First of all forget about the other trees and work backwards making sure you have everything documented.

If you have William (and Robert) in later censuses what details do they give for date and place of birth? Have you checked for burials etc?

It helps to go sideways too, following up siblings marriages.

Someone with more experience than me will no doubt be along soon but I hope that helps a bit.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat
I think you need to look at the original registers for St Savior if you are sure this is your William.  Robert is not necessarily a twin as often children of different ages were baptised on the same day.  Is his age the same on the census?    The original may have a note of father's occupation too.   You can order the film to search at your nearest LDS centre (listed on familysearch) if you cannot get to a local archives office.
How old was William at marriage?  What did he call his children?  There are several other John and Hannah Leng couples and all from extracted records so you do need to be sure you have the right one.   Those are only the ones on the IGI too - there may be others in parishes which are not covered by the IGI.
Can you quote us a census reference that you are positive is your William?
Andrea

Offline Botticelliwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

I've realised that assuming others don't assume was a mistake.  On the 1851 census, luckily the brothers are living together; the birth years are the same, both listed as York born. I know their father was John (from William's marriage certificate) and their mother, Hannah, was living with William and his family on the 1841 census.

I'm planning a trip to the York records office in the not too distant future and was going to check out the Wilberfoss registers....not so sure now!

The census ref (1851 Kimberworth, Rotherham): Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2344; Folio: 124; Page: 17; GSU roll: 87602.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
That's a useful census entry, who's uncle is it, Roberts or Marys?

Cancel that, he's with William in 1841  ;D
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline Botticelliwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
I never even noticed Tapham Morley before....can you tell me where you found him in 1841? I've just done a search and can't find him  :-\

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
He's Topham in 1841 HO107 piece 1339 Book/folio 18/48.

Offline Botticelliwoman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
thank you angel!!!!!

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
You're welcome  :) Can't find your Robert in 1861 but have found the Wilberfoss one, he has his brothers George and Joseph with him and is married to Prudence ( RG09 piece 3546 folio 37 page 2)

In 1871 your Robert is here RG10 piece 4706 folio 77 page 24 still married to Mary so it looks as if Wilberfoss is out. What do you think?