Author Topic: Trist Cottage - Dittisham -Street Name Please?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trist Cottage - Dittisham -Street Name Please?
« on: Monday 09 August 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Urgently needed for Trist-Lash-Heyward Reunion in New Zealand in September.

What street in Dittisham is the Trist Cottage  in? Is there someone out there who could check on it for us please? We neglected to note that down when we took the photo.

As direct descendants of the Dittisham Trist families, after visiting the cemetery there, we took the photo of the 'Trist Cottage' in the village wondering if there was a connection to our family.
There was of course and not only that, a beautiful needleworked sample of the same Trist Cottage has turned up here in New Zealand with another relative. It must have been copied from a Postcard or early b/w photo as the embroidery is in muted colours.

Ever Hopeful - Faith G  ::) ::)

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Trist Cottage - Dittisham -Street Name Please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
From google maps

Tryst Cottage
Lower St,
Dittisham,
Dartmouth,
Devon
TQ6 0HY
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 11:15 BST (UK) »

Thank you Linda - I had a hunch it was Lower Street and I had accessed a little info. on the cottage from Google so I'll have a good look at your sites for a bit more data.

When we arrived at the Dittisham Parish Churchyard some years ago, it was late in the day and light was fading quickly. We had to move on the next day so we were trying to get as many MI's relating to our family members down while it was readable with Barrie calling out the M I's which I quickly wrote down. A woman walking her dog passed through the Churchyard and while her dog was snuffling about she asked us which names we were seeking. On hearing the name "Trist' she offhandedly said "Oh, there's a Trist Cottage down there" and whistled her dog and disappeared. Although rushed for time we made a fast trip the next morning to find it, took photos and left.

Little did the woman know what a gem of information that remark of hers was! Especially when a relative came out with the needlework sample of the cottage - and we hadn't even mentioned it!! This makes Family History so rewarding.

Faith G   :) :) :)

Offline Clare H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trist Cottage - Dittisham -Any other Trist information please?
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I would be fascinated to know more. My Trist ancestors go back to at least 1469 in Dittisham and South Brent, ultimately Cornwall with documented certainty and a potential link to the Trist family in Northants prior to that. I have recently found a convincing document in the NA to support the proposed link.
I find it a shame that the year of a post is not included or am I mad? I am English, but currently living in Singapore.

Clare
12/12/2016

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

My second shot at this. Seems as if I pushed the wrong thing in trying to send you the copy of Trist Cottage my grandmother did C.A. 1919.

As you may find any photos etc., useful any E-mail address you use may be the best way to send data etc. in the future.

My g.grandmother, Fanny Trist, born 1839 in Paignton died out here in New Zealand in 1876. From her we have traced the family back to Devon born John Trist C.A. 1570 and wife Elizabeth  Edgecombe.

Please feel free to ask for any specific material as we may have it. In the future we may be able to directly send you photographs etc.

First post was 9 August 2010 and the second the 10 August 2010- both by my wife Faith. The dates are at the top of each post but only use the last 2 digits of the year.

Look forward to hearing from you - Barrie Green.
                                                  New Zealand.

Offline Clare H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barrie,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I would love anymore information. I think that I am  also related to John Trist who married Elizabeth Edgecombe, though it is a while since I was researching. I was sent a huge family tree that had been researched by Peter Trist, and Australian. I believe that it is through the link with the Edgecome family that my ancestors moved to Cawsand in the parish of Rame. My Grandmother knew that there was a family link to Cawsand, but she knew little more. She lived in London and bought a cottage in Cawsand which they did up and eventually retired to. It happens to be right opposite the house where her great grandmother, Mary Trist lived by sheer coincidence! We still have the cottage and all my childhood holidays were spent there.
The first Devon recorded Trist that I have is John Trist c. 1469. The name of his wife is unknown, but they had two sons, William and Richard. My line is from Richard (b.1498 in Diptford, D. 1571 in Aveton Gifford). My line moves down to Cornwall Richard Trist (b.1753 in Diptford) who marries Margaret Williams in Rame.The Edgecombe estate borders Cawsand and the family were always very philanthropic to the village.
I am actually living in Singapore at the moment, but go back to England in April 2017. I have flown between the two places a great deal though over the last 4 years and not all my research is in one place.
There is a historian who has lots of Trist family papers who lives in Harberton and I will plan a visit next year.

Is it ok to post an email address?

Best wishes,
Clare

I have visited some houses connected to the Trist family in the South Brent area

Offline Clare H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barrie,

Your John Trist was the older brother of my Thomas Trist (b.1583 in Harberton). I can take you back further if you have not already done this...

Clare

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 16 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

We live in a world of connections. Through our research in Devon it has been established Faith is my 7th cousin. So every day we add a new name to our work. Best of all we in the past have travelled to many parts of the earth trying to unravel our past. Great fun and happy memories. Reckon the old folk made some good choices. So in the near future we will behopefully  adding to our history with your interesting data.

Using my E-mail address one may be able to send any relevant pictures etc so try using ; -
                         barrie,green@xtra.co.nz

No trouble sending photos etc that may be relevant - one can only ask and let the receiver work things out.

Enjoy the sunshine in Singapore as we face some cold days predicted for the next week down here near the South Pole!!

Regards  Barrie Green.