Author Topic: Gordon/Robertson Boyndie Banff MacDuff  (Read 8334 times)

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon/Robertson Boyndie Banff MacDuff
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 03:58 BST (UK) »
I am hoping for help with my 'brickwall'. Archibald GORDON (b.Aberdeen,date unknown c.1828)married Isabella ROBERTSON b 1st Feb 1834, Boyndie,daughter of John ROBERTSON, Forester of Auds, Boyndie & Margaret GRANT. Archibald & Isabella married in Boyndie 2nd Nov 1854 then lived all their married life in MacDuff & Banff. Archibald was a master cabinet maker & they lived in Bridge/Low/Carmelite Street Banff, raising a family of 11 children (3 of the first 4 passing away in infancy). I have all the birth/death records for the children & the Census returns for Archibald & Isabella in Banff right through 1871 to 1891 then they just seem to vanish off the face of the earth. On their youngest son James  Dec 1894 marriage certificate it states his father is deceased but I have had no luck, searching all the death indexes between 1891-1894 on Scotlands People,Find my Past, The Genealogist & Family Search. I visited Banff in 2007 & wandered every cemetery I found with no luck. Where do I go next? Has anyone any ideas that may help? They would be so appreciated!      Far Away

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon/Robertson Boyndie Banff MacDuff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Isabella died in Glasgow Govan, 7 April 1903, aged 67. Widow of Archibald Gordon. Parents as you stated.  A son in law William Stones/tanes? was the informant.

Using this information, I checked for a death for Archibald in the Glasgow area:

7 Jan 1898 Glasgow Kelvin

Archibald Gordon, cabinet maker, married to Isabella Grant. Aged 69.

Parents - Walter Gordon, weaver, and Catherine m.s. Lamont, both deceased.

His son <indecipherable> initials was the informant.

James's marriage cert must have been an error!

Gadget.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Gadget! I can't believe the info so quickly after so long trying to find it! This certainly sets me on the road again. Archibald & Isabellas children were; Walter Lamond b 1855 d 1856, Jessie N b 1856 d 1857, John Robertson b 1858, a baby son who only lived 15 days b 1860, Archibald b 1861, George Forbes Robinson b 1863, Alexander Robertson b 1865, Walter b 1868, James (my G-Grandfather) b 1870, Isabella Robertson b 1872,& Jessie Nicol b 1875. If anyone is descended from any of these children I would love to hear from you with your family stories as I like to have more than just names & dates. My James ended up living in London, married & my grandmother was their only child. She had 3 children & they all came to New Zealand to live after the war. They have all passed away now but leave a large number of descendants to carry on. I was lucky enough to come to the UK in 2007 for the best holiday ever & managed to come to Banff, & surrounds, & it all seems so much easier now I can picture where I am searching. Thank you once again,  Far Away

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have more details on the ancestry of John ROBERTSON in Auds, Boyndie, the father of Isabella ROBERTSON?

I believe he married 20-10-1818 Kirkmichael, Ban. For some reason, his wife's name is Janet GRANT (per marr, 1841, 1851 & 1861 censuses), yet the baptisms of their children all have her as Margaret GRANT.

I'm trying to find the parents of Elspet ROBERTSON (supposedly a farmer ROBERTSON and Jane MOIR). B abt 1785, she married John GEDDES in 1809 in Portsoy, and I think the Margaret GEDDES at your ROBERTSONs at Auds in 1841 is their daughter. Furthermore, another daughter Jessy GEDDES m William WATSON, and family were at Carmelite St and Bridge St in Banff, maybe just a coincidence, but...

I've just found that John GEDDES & Elspet ROBERTSON were Catholic. Given the Kirkmichael connection as well as the GORDON surname, is there any Catholic dimension in your ROBERTSONs?

A bit of a long shot all this, but maybe there's a connection.

Howard

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Fordyce
I'm afraid I don't have any further information on John Robertson. To make it even more confusing his wife Janet/Margaret is named as Jessie in the 1861 Census! Hope you have had some luck in your search since the earlier post.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Janet/Jessie are interchangeable but how Margaret fits in is a mystery  ???

My grandmother was Maggy-Jane but the Maggy was her granny....................Jane was after her mother Janet.

Janet, depending on where the person hailed from can sometimes be called Sheena !!!

Sheena however is actually gaelic for Jean but spelled Sine although pronounced Sheena  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline far away

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 April 15 02:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ammac, it's all done to keep us on our toes i'm sure  ;)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying, far away.

Since my last post I've concluded the Margaret GEDDES at Auds in 1841 is someone else, namely d/o Alexander GEDDES & Margaret GRANT who married Alexander MUNRO in 1844 at Deskford.

Before you ask (!), this Margaret GRANT is thought to be b 3-11-1786 Keith, Ban d/o James GRANT & Isobel STUART. Although they marr in Knockando, Mor (in 1778), there's no reason to suppose they're related to your Janet/Margaret GRANT who was born 1787-ish in relatively nearby Tombreck, Kirkmichael, Ban. Unless you know different....

Offline RiiZZA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
What a interesting site this is.
I see a mention of Walter Gordon and Catherine Lamont whom through research are my great great great great Grandparents. They had a son named John Gordon who married a Isabella Stephen. Does anyone have any info DOB or deaths of Walter and Catherine and who their parents were and so on.

Thanks